The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any team in the top 10.

It's so easy to have an easy run in the world cup. Argentina got to the final in the last world cup by playing Bosnia, just about winning 2-1. Then Iran, just about winning 1-0. Nigeria, just edging it 3-2. They beat Switzerland 1-0 in the R16. Beat Belgium 1-0 in The QF. Belgium have a good players but as a team they're terrible esp back in 2014.

Then in the semis they beat Netherlands on penalties.. If you look at that run of games. I don't see how any other team in the top 10 rankings doesn't have a chance of winning.
Original post by Cxm
Any team in the top 10.

It's so easy to have an easy run in the world cup. Argentina got to the final in the last world cup by playing Bosnia, just about winning 2-1. Then Iran, just about winning 1-0. Nigeria, just edging it 3-2. They beat Switzerland 1-0 in the R16. Beat Belgium 1-0 in The QF. Belgium have a good players but as a team they're terrible esp back in 2014.

Then in the semis they beat Netherlands on penalties.. If you look at that run of games. I don't see how any other team in the top 10 rankings doesn't have a chance of winning.

Five Stars - superb. If only every football fan saw the routine, inane, pure and simple luck that dominates most football games... You would be my favourite pundit if only you had a job on BBC5live haha!
Original post by ma_long
Other than Belgium, the rest of the teams you named were much stronger in 2006.

If you're not going to post any argument other than 'they were better in 2006' you are borderline trolling.

France had an ageing side who struggled to even qualify and only made it because Zidane came out of retirement at the age of 33. Even Zidane was past it by then. The current French squad is rammed, with several world class players, have just made a final and qualified with ease.

Argentina have Messi (better now than 2006), Aguero, Icardi, Di Maria, Mascherano, Dybala, Pastore & Higuain. Their defence is a bit older, but they are taking a strike force where two of their forwards average a goal a game and two are well over 1 in 2.

Spain have arguably the best GK in the world, a world class defence, midfield is rammed and in Costa they have one of the best strikers in the world too.

Germany weren't great in 2006, they were at the start of their journey back to the top.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
If you're not going to post any argument other than 'they were better in 2006' you are borderline trolling.

France had an ageing side who struggled to even qualify and only made it because Zidane came out of retirement at the age of 33. Even Zidane was past it by then. The current French squad is rammed, with several world class players, have just made a final and qualified with ease.

Argentina have Messi (better now than 2006), Aguero, Icardi, Di Maria, Mascherano, Dybala, Pastore & Higuain. Their defence is a bit older, but they are taking a strike force where two of their forwards average a goal a game and two are well over 1 in 2.

Spain have arguably the best GK in the world, a world class defence, midfield is rammed and in Costa they have one of the best strikers in the world too.

Germany weren't great in 2006, they were at the start of their journey back to the top.

Germany weren't great? They got to the semi-final in 2006. They had one of the stronger squads in 2006.
Original post by trg01
Five Stars - superb. If only every football fan saw the routine, inane, pure and simple luck that dominates most football games... You would be my favourite pundit if only you had a job on BBC5live haha!

The world cup isn't even in the top 10 most competitive competitions or entertainment wise. The champions league is 10x the competition.

It's ruined by giving teams from Asia, Africa and some of Europe a chance. They should change it to 16 teams. 2 leg knock out games from the beginning and even then they'll find it hard to fill the competition with enough teams to be competitive.

It should be more like:

Germany v Colombia
Brazil v Mexico
Spain v Belgium
Italy v Switzerland
France v Uruguay
Argentina v England [They're not in top 10 but eh]
Netherlands v Chile
Portugal v Poland

Then the QF would look so good. eg:

Germany v Spain
Brazil v Argentina
Italy v Portugal
Netherlands v France

Semis: eg.

Brazil v France
Germany v Italy

Final: Brazil v Germany
3rd: France v Italy

I would watch each and every one of these games. At the current world cup i'll probably watch about 10% of them.
Edit: This way teams could play in their own countries. Having two legs each round for only the R16, QF, SF would mean teams only need to travel 3 times, max 4 over an entire month. There's no reason that they couldn't do this. The atmosphere would be much much better, the competitiveness, the desire in front of your own nation etc..
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Cxm
The world cup isn't even in the top 10 most competitive competitions or entertainment wise. The champions league is 10x the competition.

It's ruined by giving teams from Asia, Africa and some of Europe a chance. They should change it to 16 teams. 2 leg knock out games from the beginning and even then they'll find it hard to fill the competition with enough teams to be competitive.

It should be more like:

Germany v Colombia
Brazil v Mexico
Spain v Belgium
Italy v Switzerland
France v Uruguay
Argentina v England [They're not in top 10 but eh]
Netherlands v Chile
Portugal v Poland

Then the QF would look so good. eg:

Germany v Spain
Brazil v Argentina
Italy v Portugal
Netherlands v France

Semis: eg.

Brazil v France
Germany v Italy

Final: Brazil v Germany
3rd: France v Italy

I would watch each and every one of these games. At the current world cup i'll probably watch about 10% of them.
Edit: This way teams could play in their own countries. Having two legs each round for only the R16, QF, SF would mean teams only need to travel 3 times, max 4 over an entire month. There's no reason that they couldn't do this. The atmosphere would be much much better, the competitiveness, the desire in front of your own nation etc..

I agree that the WC has been expanded way too much. I liked the old style of having two group stages (I think this was changed in '86 or 90') with a short knock-out stage. But as FIFA continues its money-making rampage across the globe, it's more likely the grow more and more. I imagine eventually, there will be a longer, cross-continental qualification stage. Perhaps even a pure knock-out tournament like the FA cup, but would be covered over two years.

It would be dreadful, I'd rather have your tournament - it should be an elite level competition.
Reply 26
Everton.
Original post by ma_long
Germany weren't great? They got to the semi-final in 2006. They had one of the stronger squads in 2006.

That wasn't your claim. You are claiming that Germany were better in 2006 than they are now. In 2006 their best players were either very old or very young with the exception of Ballack and Klose. It wasn't a squad filled with players who were the end product or in their prime. Some very average players in that 2006 squad. They were also hosts, which is a massive advantage.

Now they have Neuer, Ozil, Gotze, Muller, Boateng, Hummels, Kroos, Khedira, Draxler, Gundogan and Gomez. These are all established elite players. Then they have on top of that players like Sane, Werner and Brandt who are good now but potentially world class. They are much stronger now.
Original post by trg01
I agree that the WC has been expanded way too much. I liked the old style of having two group stages (I think this was changed in '86 or 90':wink: with a short knock-out stage. But as FIFA continues its money-making rampage across the globe, it's more likely the grow more and more. I imagine eventually, there will be a longer, cross-continental qualification stage. Perhaps even a pure knock-out tournament like the FA cup, but would be covered over two years.

It would be dreadful, I'd rather have your tournament - it should be an elite level competition.

You're right FIFA will keep expanding.

We'll just have to wait until they make it into the Universe Cup and then let's just hope some of the aliens put up a better fight than North Korea losing 7-1 to Portugal.
Germany
England. Duh
Original post by Cxm
You're right FIFA will keep expanding.

We'll just have to wait until they make it into the Universe Cup and then let's just hope some of the aliens put up a better fight than North Korea losing 7-1 to Portugal.

I remember reading that North Korea state TV reported they won the 2010 WC, but I don't know if that's true because I don't live there haha. They definitely did beat Italy in '66 :-)
Original post by trg01
Whilst I think you're spot on with the final, historically Latin American teams don't do well in Europe. Only Argentina and Brazil have reached the last 16 of the last 3 European WC's (and neither got out of the 2nd group stage in Spain '82). So I think you're overestimating how well those teams will do in the groups. I wouldn't be surprised to see Russia finish above Uruguay, Denmark above Peru, Croatia above Argentina, and Poland above Columbia.

That is very interesting indeed. I had a feeling European teams would have a slight advantage, but I didn’t know that it has been so significant in the past. Actually, it would be kinda fun to predict how things change with the changes you mentioned, so I’ll give it another go. I’ll also put Sweden above Mexico in the group stages.

Ro16

Egypt vs Portugal (W)
France (W) vs Croatia
Brazil (W) vs Sweden
Belgium (W) vs Senegal/Colombia
Spain (W) vs Russia
Iceland vs Denmark (W)
Germany (W) vs Serbia
Poland vs England (W)

QF
Portugal vs France (W)
Brazil vs Belgium (W)
Spain (W) vs Denmark
Germany (W) vs England

SF
France (W) vs Belgium
Spain vs Germany (W)

3rd place
Spain (W) vs Belgium

Final
France (W) vs Germany

Very Eurocentric, perhaps I went over the top there. I still put Iceland over Croatia because of the qualification results, which knocks out Argentina in the group stages. Do these look more realistic though?
Original post by moggis
Thanks for that. I never predict anything thst has minimal odds of 4-1 but what your post shows is how easy Germany’s most likely route to the final potentially is.
And to a large extent Spains .Albeit they’d have to meet Germany in the semis .Dunno why you have Argentina beating Spain on the criteria you mentioned but still.
Yeah,a big help. Cheers.

Sochi, where the game would be played, has a similar climate to Buenos Aires and a lot of the most populated areas of Argentina, which is why I picked Argentina over Spain. But Spain could certainly win that game too, it’s wasn’t an easy match to decide. I’m glad I helped you out though!
That argument between WL and ma_long :lol:
If I was a betting man my money would go on Argentina.
Reply 36
Original post by TimGB
Sochi, where the game would be played, has a similar climate to Buenos Aires and a lot of the most populated areas of Argentina, which is why I picked Argentina over Spain. But Spain could certainly win that game too, it’s wasn’t an easy match to decide. I’m glad I helped you out though!

Well,if you’ve put that much thought into your predictions that makes them even more helpful .
(I think Argentina may well not win the group but that’s just gut feeling.)
Let’s be honest, it’s either going to be Spain or Germany.
My top 3 favorites are France, Spain and Germany. I think an European time since 2006 will win the World Cup fourth time in a row.

Original post by ma_long
Nah man, 2006 had better players (other than Messi and Ronaldo). The 2006 brazil squad was a dream team, you had stars on the bench because it was that loaded. Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, Kaka etc etc

I understand you. After the RRRR-generation (Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and Roberto Carlos) which ended in 2006, the Brazilian squad was average, enriched with some good players. The 2002 team was the last one which had the so called Joga-Bonito-spirit, in short: the last team with a magic Brazilian touch.
England obviously.

Latest