Levels of Courses at Uni

Watch this thread
maky55
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello again!

After I had a chat on the phone with a recruitment lady at Scarborough University I had a chat with my tutor and she said that:

If I apply for a HNC then I will have to do 5 years at Uni to get a BSc in Computing Science, is this true? And will I be able to get a student loan for all 5 years if so? I originally hoped that I could do 3 years to get a BSc but this has kinda dampened my hopes a bit.. Thanks.
maky55
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
^^^
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by maky55)
Hello again!

After I had a chat on the phone with a recruitment lady at Scarborough University I had a chat with my tutor and she said that:

If I apply for a HNC then I will have to do 5 years at Uni to get a BSc in Computing Science, is this true? And will I be able to get a student loan for all 5 years if so? I originally hoped that I could do 3 years to get a BSc but this has kinda dampened my hopes a bit.. Thanks.
Is it part-time?

An HNC is normally a one year course and is equivalent to the first year (of a three year) degree course.

Their full time course info here mentions 3 years and the HNC for Y1.
https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/cours...uting-science/

Posted from TSR Mobile
maky55
Rep:
I wanted to do it full time but my tutor has confused me. I thought that I'd just have to top up to a HND then a BSc and I thought it would just take 3 years but my tutor said it'd take 5 years :/.
Doones
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I wanted to do it full time but my tutor has confused me. I thought that I'd just have to top up to a HND then a BSc and I thought it would just take 3 years but my tutor said it'd take 5 years :/.
No it takes 3 years full-time.

Call them back if you are unclear about what they are saying

Edit: tell them you want to do the degree from the outset.
maky55
Rep:
(Original post by Doonesbury)
No it takes 3 years full-time.

Call them back if you are unclear about what they are saying

Edit: tell them you want to do the degree from the outset.
Thank you, should I change my UCAS application to apply for the Degree? I'd have to ask for it to be sent back to me by my college. I originally applied for the HNC, but I didn't realize it would be any different to the BSc. I really haven't been very well informed about any of this. I think it might also be my course tutor wanting me to stay for an extra year to get the extended diploma.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
I would guess Doones is correct and imo your tutor is wrong because they have simply aggregated the 2 years of doing a HND with 3 years for an UG degree.
Doones
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you, should I change my UCAS application to apply for the Degree? I'd have to ask for it to be sent back to me by my college. I originally applied for the HNC, but I didn't realize it would be any different to the BSc. I really haven't been very well informed about any of this. I think it might also be my course tutor wanting me to stay for an extra year to get the extended diploma.
Speak to Scarborough, but I'd say it's likely you can just progress through to the full degree assuming you do well enough in Y1.

The course is exactly the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doones
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I would guess Doones is correct and imo your tutor is wrong because they have simply aggregated the 2 years of doing a HND with 3 years for an UG degree.
Yes I think the college tutor (not Scarborough) is getting themselves very confused. I bet they think it's 1 year for the HNC, and then another 2 years for the HND, and then (weirdly) another 2 years for the top-up to the degree. When it fact the "HNC" year 1 simply leads to the "HND" year 2 and then the degree in year 3. A student would only be awarded the HNC or HND if they stopped ("graduated") at that stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Yes I think the college tutor (not Scarborough) is getting themselves very confused. I bet they think it's 1 year for the HNC, and then another 2 years for the HND, and then (weirdly) another 2 years for the top-up to the degree. When it fact the "HNC" year 1 simply leads to the "HND" year 2 and then the degree in year 3. A student would only be awarded the HNC or HND if they stopped ("graduated" at that stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbf by that age I was old enough to look it up myself and stand my ground if I felt I was correct based on what I had read.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads