On the wrong course...can't get out of it. Watch

*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I chose to study english lit at uni, because I've always loved reading, used to like writing essays and I used to get ok grades. My first year I wasn't overly enthusiastic about my modules- I preferred my 'wild' module which was sociology. Nevertheless I've carried on into my second year, still studying engish. This year has been difficult, I've been struggling with depression and I was getting pretty rubbish grades last term. I'm now looking at the modules for next year, and to be honest I just can't see myself getting excitedd baout it.

BUT...I have a mental block and can't pull out, to do something I really want to do. My parents have been supportive and say I can do wahtever makes me happy. I just wish I had a bit more enthusiasm for my course

Please tell me, am I being completely stupid for not changing earlier? I'm not brave enough to change I don't think :s blah I don't even know what I'm asking, sorry!
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Talk to your university. It's unlikely that you'd be able to change from English to 100% Sociology, but it'd definitely be worth seeing if they'd let you change from English and American Literature to ... English & American Literature and Sociology.

They're normally a bit more flexible than they let on.
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
But wouldn't the last year and a half just been a waste? Gaah I hate big scary decisions, wish I'd just grow up!
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think anything you learn is a waste lol and looking at it from another way, it looks like you've found out what you DON'T want to do, which is valuable. Better to realise that now, while there's still a chance to change courses and get funding, than get to the end of your degree and realise that you'd much rather have taken something else.

But seriously, if you're so unhappy taking English then you really ought to go and talk to someone about changing. If you want to stay at the same uni, then it could be the case that you can swap over without having to drop out and restart. Or, it could be the case that you just need to go back and start the second year again. You won't know until you ask Or, you could ask about maybe combining the subjects if you don't want to drop English completely, that could be an option.

I think too that you need to address the fact that you're depressed - is it your unhappiness with your course that's causing this or are there other issues that you need to address first? What I mean is, will changing course help or are you unhappy with other things about uni too, like the location or just the whole atmosphere, or is there something else in your life that's bothering you? There are essays etc in sociology too ... are you sure that's what you want to take as a full course or did you enjoy it simply because you took the course without feeling the same pressure to do well as you do in English? I don't mean to put you off changing here but there's no point swapping courses if you're going to be equally as unhappy doing something else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads