The Student Room Group

Can I still do A-Levels or is it too late for me?

Hello guys,

I left school in June 2017 and since then I have been to college and an apprenticeship. I didn't like either. I would like to do A - Levels but these are my grades:
English Language - 4
English Literature - 4
Mathematics - 4
Science - C
Additional Science - C
Geography - C
Applied Business - E
BTEC Sport - Level 1 Pass
ECDL - Distinction*
English as a second language - A*
I also got some Microsoft certificates from my apprenticeship.

Most Sixth Forms are stating that a grade B/5 are needed at GCSE to do the A-Level equivalent. Am I just going to have to do a BTEC at college or is there still some hope?
Original post by Cxsmo_
Hello guys,

I left school in June 2017 and since then I have been to college and an apprenticeship. I didn't like either. I would like to do A - Levels but these are my grades:
English Language - 4
English Literature - 4
Mathematics - 4
Science - C
Additional Science - C
Geography - C
Applied Business - E
BTEC Sport - Level 1 Pass
ECDL - Distinction*
English as a second language - A*
I also got some Microsoft certificates from my apprenticeship.

Most Sixth Forms are stating that a grade B/5 are needed at GCSE to do the A-Level equivalent. Am I just going to have to do a BTEC at college or is there still some hope?

which a levels are you trying to do? redo your GCSE's and get the required grades. Trust me, having a good foundation is imperative for success for science and maths a levels.
(edited 5 years ago)
unless you were planning to do science or maths a-level then i think you would be ok
Reply 3
Original post by Maths&physics
which a levels are you trying to do? redo your GCSE's and get the required grades. Trust me, having a good foundation is imperative for success for science and maths a levels.

How/where would I resit my GCSE's? And also, I may not do science or maths but I would do computer science so maths is probably a must for me.
Reply 4
Original post by Ray_Shadows
unless you were planning to do science or maths a-level then i think you would be ok

I would want to do:
Computing
Geography
(Not sure what else)
Original post by Cxsmo_
I would want to do:
Computing
Geography
(Not sure what else)

assuming you're talking about computer science , pls do bear in mind that it has quite alot of maths in it , so if you're deadset in taking it might wanna retake maths

i don't think maths is a compulsory subject to take with computing (atleast at my school anyway) but normally they would expect you to take it with another stem subject , e.g physics
Reply 6
assuming you're talking about computer science , pls do bear in mind that it has quite alot of maths in it , so if you're deadset in taking it might wanna retake maths

i don't think maths is a compulsory subject to take with computing (atleast at my school anyway) but normally they would expect you to take it with another stem subject , e.g physics

So would I have to take physics as a subject?
Original post by Cxsmo_

actually now that i think about you probably coudn't take any other stem subject cause you have C's in sciene and math , unless you really convince them that you can do it despite getting c's

i would resit asap
Original post by Cxsmo_

You dont have to, however if you choose to then go for it, Computer science usually works well with maths. In my school people who take computer science also take maths.
Reply 9
actually now that i think about you probably coudn't take any other stem subject cause you have C's in sciene and math , unless you really convince them that you can do it despite getting c's

i would resit asap

I really enjoy computing, I don't mind maths it is just that my GCSE's don't show my full potential. I moved from school to school so settling down and actually focusing on my GCSE's was hard work. I feel like if i put my mind to it I can do it. Any guidance on how/where to resit my GCSE's???
Original post by Cxsmo_
I really enjoy computing, I don't mind maths it is just that my GCSE's don't show my full potential. I moved from school to school so settling down and actually focusing on my GCSE's was hard work. I feel like if i put my mind to it I can do it. Any guidance on how/where to resit my GCSE's???

ask your tutor or an examiner if you can (but you will have to pay for them since you already passed them)

most colleges won't let you do a-level maths with a c grade unless you either have extenuating circumstances or a really pushover interviewer
Reply 11
Original post by Shuviliaxx
You dont have to, however if you choose to then go for it, Computer science usually works well with maths. In my school people who take computer science also take maths.

I was in second set out of 5 sets for maths in school, I did the foundation paper and managed to pass. I just wasn't in a good mindset when at school, I didn't value my education as much as I do now. I feel like I can achieve so much now but my GCSE results are covering my true work rate and potential :frown:
Reply 12
ask your tutor or an examiner if you can (but you will have to pay for them since you already passed them)

most colleges won't let you do a-level maths with a c grade unless you either have extenuating circumstances or a really pushover interviewer

I am currently not in education, I went to college with the same mindset from school (lazy) and I didn't like it, because I was lazy, so I left and joined an apprenticeship which was honestly awful. Being in the workplace did change my mindset. That is why I am hoping there is some chance in starting fresh. So, seen as I have no tutor, how should I go about resitting?
Original post by Cxsmo_
I am currently not in education, I went to college with the same mindset from school (lazy) and I didn't like it, because I was lazy, so I left and joined an apprenticeship which was honestly awful. Being in the workplace did change my mindset. That is why I am hoping there is some chance in starting fresh. So, seen as I have no tutor, how should I go about resitting?

maybe talk to a school staff member that you are comfortable with or talk to a careers adviser. I'm pretty sure you can retake GCSES privately as well, but I believe you have to pay for the sessions as well.
Reply 14
maybe talk to a school staff member that you are comfortable with or talk to a careers adviser. I'm pretty sure you can retake GCSES privately as well, but I believe you have to pay for the sessions as well.

I am not in education at this current time, I plan on going back into college/sixth form in September
Original post by Cxsmo_
I am not in education at this current time, I plan on going back into college/sixth form in September

I would advise you to pop in to your previous high school and talk to a staff member about retaking exams, usually most retakes are around november ish and if they don't do the old spec content you will have to learn the new spec content within the space of a couple of months. So it is better to go through with a staff member and see when and how the retake will take place.
Reply 16
I would advise you to pop in to your previous high school and talk to a staff member about retaking exams, usually most retakes are around november ish and if they don't do the old spec content you will have to learn the new spec content within the space of a couple of months. So it is better to go through with a staff member and see when and how the retake will take place.

This is another underlying problem, I will be moving to a different town soon. That is why I am looking for a different sixth form to do my A - levels or I would have done my A - Levels at my previous school :/
Original post by Cxsmo_
How/where would I resit my GCSE's? And also, I may not do science or maths but I would do computer science so maths is probably a must for me.

you can either resit them at your local college or do them from home and sit the exams in an exam centre.

yeah, my college wouldnt let you do a level maths without an A at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest