The Student Room Group

Controlling Motivation?

Hola. So, over the past couple of months my motivation and laziness has been all over the spot and it's kinda frustrating. I guess you'd say "control" it but I just can't. I have GCSE exams next week and have no motivation to revise like mad though. I had a little spike the other day where I wanted to though. Since then I've become lazy and "can't be bothered". I guess it could be put up to my tiredness because I have insomnia but there's no simple fix for that. I generally an intelligent and mature guy who wants to succeed in life but currently I do not have the determination and drive to do so. Does anyone have any tips on making myself more awake, happy and full of motivation? It really does drag me down and affect me in school and extra-curricular activities too. If you have any tips I'd be very appreciated of it. Thanks.

- rbw
Reply 1
I always think that this is less of a problem with motivation and more an issue of self-discipline.
What's actually, really, definitely stopping you from working? Can you tell a legitimate reason apart from whatever BS part of your brain might make up to avoid studying?
Think about the satisfaction that you'll have because you did some revision. Use the pomodoro method: 25 mins at a time, 5 min breaks, every 3rd break 20 mins. That way you don't get burned out.
Also make sure you're getting enough sleep. That's more important than revision.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
I always think that this is less of a problem with motivation and more an issue of self-discipline.
What's actually, really, definitely stopping you from working? Can you tell a legitimate reason apart from whatever BS part of your brain might make up to avoid studying?
Think about the satisfaction that you'll have because you did some revision. Use the pomodoro method: 25 mins at a time, 5 min breaks, every 3rd break 20 mins. That way you don't get burned out.
Also make sure you're getting enough sleep. That's more important than revision.

The thing that stops me is my brain puts me in that "I can't be bothered" mindset and just end up watching YouTube or relaxing. Like I said, I am always tired because of insomnia and I cannot fix that. I've been to a Doctor twice about it and they just gave me pieces of paper on how to relax and get a good nights sleep - doesn't work though. I can't think of a legitimate reason, that makes sense, as to why I just can't be bothered studying. I understand the satisfaction of learning and how just an hour of revision could help but that thought seems to be overpowered by the negative, lazy thoughts. I'm not sure how to explain it, sorry.
Reply 3
Original post by redblackwhite
The thing that stops me is my brain puts me in that "I can't be bothered" mindset and just end up watching YouTube or relaxing. Like I said, I am always tired because of insomnia and I cannot fix that. I've been to a Doctor twice about it and they just gave me pieces of paper on how to relax and get a good nights sleep - doesn't work though. I can't think of a legitimate reason, that makes sense, as to why I just can't be bothered studying. I understand the satisfaction of learning and how just an hour of revision could help but that thought seems to be overpowered by the negative, lazy thoughts. I'm not sure how to explain it, sorry.

So do you revise at all?
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
So do you revise at all?

I have done loads within sessions at school and a bit at home but lost the motivation to do it at home quite a bit. Like I mentioned before, I have spikes of when I feel alive and willing to revise but it's not good enough, to be honest. For example, the other day I did a load of revision for Computer Science as that is my first exam. This was on Monday when I was off school because it was a holiday. I did like 12 cards of information on a few topics; which are now on my wall.
Reply 5
I have done loads within sessions at school and a bit at home but lost the motivation to do it at home quite a bit. Like I mentioned before, I have spikes of when I feel alive and willing to revise but it's not good enough, to be honest. For example, the other day I did a load of revision for Computer Science as that is my first exam. This was on Monday when I was off school because it was a holiday. I did like 12 cards of information on a few topics; which are now on my wall.

So do you wish you were revising right now?
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
So do you wish you were revising right now?

Probably but I feel tired and really don't want to so I'm just watching YouTube.
Reply 7
Probably but I feel tired and really don't want to so I'm just watching YouTube.

Can you consider yourself in the future regretting this?
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
Can you consider yourself in the future regretting this?

If I fail at having a sustainable life and don't have a good job, then maybe.
Use the pomodoro method 25 minutes studying and 5 minute break,so you feel less overwhelmed.After 4 pomodoros take a 15-20 minute break and repeat.Be active in your revision and don't just passively read or just copying out a book and writing notes.Do past papers in timed conditions and memorise those mark schemes!!Write out without looking at notes or the textbook everything you know for a topic than in a different coloured pen write the things you forgot,so you know what your weak areas are!Focus on your weaknesses!Reward yourself for studying!Use this app on your computer called self control so you can block distracting websites like tsr for a set amount of time.Hope these tips helped!
+1 on Pomodoro ,get UP during the breaks, drink water, take nice slow deep breaths after every 60 mins or so to disconnect. You are helping your brain when you disconnect properly and your brain will reward you in kind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending