Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey im predicted a grade 8 (somehow) but i really struggle in english. for the 19 century novel im doing Jekyll and Hyde and i have 2 main issues
    1) I struggle to understand the question asked in the essay due to the wording
    2) I CANT REMEMBER THE QUOTES!!
    can i still get a grade 7+ if i use minimal number of quotes?
    also any tips for actually UNDERSTANDING the question and also for remembering quotes?

ReputationRep:
    Walk around school spouting random quotes and try to think about them in any wasted minutes you have. I needed about 5-6 main quotes for my exam last year and a few from the extract.
    The questions tend to be general. Try looking at some example materials to see what good answers look like for which question.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkbacon1437)
    hey im predicted a grade 8 (somehow) but i really struggle in english. for the 19 century novel im doing Jekyll and Hyde and i have 2 main issues
    also any tips for actually UNDERSTANDING the question and also for remembering quotes?
    1) remember there is no 'right' answer to an english question, so as long as you keep dropping in the essay title in your actual essay (by linking your points to the title/your argument) you can't really stray very far from the question focus.
    For example, when I did this last year, the question was 'how does Stevenson make us feel sympathy for Jekyll' and I basically rambled on about him being a prisoner in his own body, a victim of his own success/campaign against nature and just constantly referred this back to the title - how these things made you feel sorry for him. My point is: play to your strengths and what you can talk about and then make the essay title work for you by making whatever you are writing relevant. This is what worked for me anyway and it got me a good grade, I won't post my results here coz it looks like I'm bragging but you can look at my bio if you want.
    2) officially, it is totally fine and will not restrict your marks in any way if you don't use quotes, however it may - subconsciously to the examiner - make your overall essay seem slightly weaker if you have literally 0 quotes. At such short notice as this I would suggest learning 10/15 really broad and easy to analyse quotes that you can link to almost any theme/question they may ask you.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    As long as you use a quote or two per question (some can be repeated), I'm sure you'll be fine.
    If you need to revise quotes, I suggest finding out how you best learn things. If you're a visual learner, use images to represent words, like Dingbats or Pictionary. If you're a auditory leaner, record you saying the quotes on to your phone and listen to them on the way to school/while doing other things like brushing your teeth. If you're a reading/writing learner, use "look, cover, say, write, check".
    If you don't find any of those helpful, try making the quotes 3D - as in, instead of copying and pasting the words into a powerpoint, draw them on paper and cut them out.

keep in mind that any drawings don't have to be good, you just have to remember them (stick people are fine!!)

Edit:
    I forgot a bit, and then when i typed it out again it got deleted, sorry.
    At our school, we use IDBR (Interpret, Detect, Build, Review) to make sure we do well on longer questions. It's not great, but the idea is good. In short, you just need to annotate the question with key words, highlight important parts, and write out the question in a simpler way.
    (I've added a photo of my IDBR question from my chem lesson today, if that's helpful.) Basically, just practice reading exam style questions and understanding what the command words (explain, describe, list, outline, etc) mean.
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    AO1 (one of the essay criteria that you're marked on) is all about structuring your argument and using relevant quotes

ReputationRep:
    For remembering quotes - try Seneca: https://app.senecalearning.com/class...e-89fdb618586f
    Or have flashcards and get someone to test you on them frequently. And I also tend to put post its around my room to try and help me remember them!

But you don't need too many - just a couple!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Jekyll and Hyde and even worse macbeth , no you dont need to use quotes if you remember the main events of the story just paraphrase it you will get marks for tht
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PrazzPrazz)
    I'm doing Jekyll and Hyde and even worse macbeth , no you dont need to use quotes if you remember the main events of the story just paraphrase it you will get marks for tht
    Yes. You'll get some marks. But you'll be missing out on a fair amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrazzPrazz)
    tips for understanding DONT and i repeat dont rush to te question dont listen to teachers read it as many times write over the extract given even if its scribbles the more u acc understand the text the better u can write

For e.g. How is the theme of friendship conveyed throughout the novel?
    friendship write the moments it appears:
    trio - Lanyon, utterson, jekyll college companions with respectable job positions giving a good reputation
    lanyon and utterson - after lanyons death utterson is eager to know the secret about hyde but restrains himself from opening the letter till after jekylls disappearance / death
    enflied and utterson - the two seen as boring, enfield pours at gossip and utterson is interested
    see thats what i mean . if u need e.g.s PM me

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.