Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Three years ago, I applied to read law at Oxford, and was rejected post-interview. I think I really just messed up the interview. Predicted over 40 for IB, and I met my predicted in the end.

Although I received other law offers, I felt incredibly heartbroken about the fact that I wouldn't be able to study law at my dream uni, so I went down a completely different path and went to a recognized American uni on full ride. GPA rounds up to 3.9.

Given the info, I really hope I have a good second chance at Oxford law as a Second BA student. Really don't want to muck up this time round, so any advice from people who have gone through similar experiences with second BA for Oxbridge would be helpful. Questions that I have include:

- Do interviewers hold you to a higher standard in your interviews with them because you have already completed an undergrad degree?
    - Clearly, since I've been through the process once with applying, I do have a statement of why I want to study law etc. that has gotten me to the interview. What would you recommend changing/ highlighting/ adding to my original statement?
    - How many of my school activities should I show on my resume as opposed to uni activities? Does Oxford still care about what you've done in school at this point?
    - I'd also love to hear people's experience of doing a second BA...how does being older than most of your peers impact your experience of reading law at Oxford positively/negatively?
    - Should I be upfront with the fact that I've always wanted to do law and the only reason that I am on the path I am now is because I was an Oxford reject at one point? Don't get me wrong, I've had an amazing experience at my current uni; it just an opportunity that I had completely out of the blue that I felt I could set my long-standing plans of doing law aside for if I wasn't going to be reading law at Oxford.

Thanks for your replies in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secondchance2019)
    Three years ago, I applied to read law at Oxford, and was rejected post-interview. I think I really just messed up the interview. Predicted over 40 for IB, and I met my predicted in the end.

Although I received other law offers, I felt incredibly heartbroken about the fact that I wouldn't be able to study law at my dream uni, so I went down a completely different path and went to a recognized American uni on full ride. GPA rounds up to 3.9.

Given the info, I really hope I have a good second chance at Oxford law as a Second BA student. Really don't want to muck up this time round, so any advice from people who have gone through similar experiences with second BA for Oxbridge would be helpful. Questions that I have include:

- Do interviewers hold you to a higher standard in your interviews with them because you have already completed an undergrad degree?
    - Clearly, since I've been through the process once with applying, I do have a statement of why I want to study law etc. that has gotten me to the interview. What would you recommend changing/ highlighting/ adding to my original statement?
    - How many of my school activities should I show on my resume as opposed to uni activities? Does Oxford still care about what you've done in school at this point?
    - I'd also love to hear people's experience of doing a second BA...how does being older than most of your peers impact your experience of reading law at Oxford positively/negatively?
    - Should I be upfront with the fact that I've always wanted to do law and the only reason that I am on the path I am now is because I was an Oxford reject at one point? Don't get me wrong, I've had an amazing experience at my current uni; it just an opportunity that I had completely out of the blue that I felt I could set my long-standing plans of doing law aside for if I wasn't going to be reading law at Oxford.

Thanks for your replies in advance!
    You are still entering the application process for an undergrad BA right, despite already having another degree. I would take all my scores from A level and Uni and apply as normally. Build upon and update your personal statement with life experiences these past few years. Of course there is no way to secure an offer but I think that you have a pretty good shot to make it to interviews. If you do then make the most of it!

ReputationRep:

Yes. Doing a degree should have greatly improved your analytical skills, and your ability to articulate your ideas. This should be evident in your interview.

If it's still true, leave the gist of it the same. (Hopefully your writing is better now than it was three years ago though, so you can improve the presentation.)

They didn't care the first time and they still don't care. Don't worry about it much, but focus on what you've been doing more recently, and especially on what you can say to show that you're still interested in law and have been reading about the aspects that interest you while you've been doing your degree.

Being up front about the fact that you've always wanted to do law is fine, and explaining that you didn't want to turn down a great opportunity and so put law on hold for a time is also; but don't mention that you were rejected from Oxford before.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.