The Student Room Group

Any advice on dealing with a bad Lecturer who has the support of the Course Leaders?

Hi there,Not sure if this is in the correct subreddit however I have no where else to turn!I am studying Computer Animation at Bournemouth University in the UK. One of the modules included on this course as part of final year is Maths. The tutor we have for maths is diabolical. He mumbles, he ignores questions and hands in the air, he uses other peoples material on the subject whilst slating it and generally sucks at teaching. It is 3 weeks until my exam in this unit and we have barely completed 4 of the 6 topics needed in order to answer all of the questions (He spent 7 months teaching us one single topic out of 6). Now, he is rushing through the last few topics and scheduling extra hours on our timetable for revision sessions which only ****s over our other unit, our Final Major Film since it means taking hours away from that in order to revise and not fail Maths.I know what you're thinking - another moaner of a student, just complain to the course leaders or student union? Tried and failed. We made a petition to send to some higher ups with signatures from EVERY SINGLE student of our course (120 or so people.) Nobody is content with the teaching quality and we all feel completely screwed over in this unit, a unit that we are paying for. This resulted in us set up a meeting with one of the top course leaders to talk about our issues in front of and with our maths teacher. However, the teacher was briefed on this issue before the meeting and it was very apparent from the offset that the course leader was completely in his corner and didn't want to listen to any of the students. Anything we had to say, he countered it and defended the teacher. The teacher then got offended and started being extremely defensive, attacking people verbally if and when they voiced their concerns. He even went as far as saying that our year group as a whole was stupid and lazy (we have this on video.) (Some people have spent 500+ hours revising already and still feel completely unprepared.)Im really running out of options here since the higher ups have dismissed our concerns. Previous year groups have also complained about this teacher however didn't get as far with their complaints as we have. I feel cheated of my tuition money since we aren't learning what we need and my grade from this unit is going to lower my final university grade as a whole. Any help on this matter or any extra advice would be much appreciated! Thank you for reading this whole rant!TLDR - Maths teacher is ****, higher ups don't care, university grade will suffer.
Reply 1
if it is that you're not being assisted by the student union and the course leader is not hearing you as the students, then take the matter straight to the VC office. you should not be ignored on something like this. draft up a letter as soon as you can and with the evidence you've collated and drop it in the office also send an email so that there is not deniability of you contacting them, if on campust pop into the office and address your issues with a witness. also if you can put the recording on a cd disk/usb drive to give it to them.

if they also dismiss you and do not address your concerns i know he guardian has a section for students, perhaps the publicity will make them take action. hopefully it doesnt come to that.

im so sorry that you guys are experiencing this. best of luck. keep me in the loop if you'd like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending