The Student Room Group

Am I doomed to fail at the Commercial Bar? Oxbridge 2:1?

Cutting to the chase, I've always been interested in law but only fairly recently (the past year or so) realized I want to be a barrister, and not a solicitor.

I'd like to get into a London Chambers, ideally one which does some commercial/chancery work (not necessarily exclusively, but some commercial work, and other civil work too, I'd be happy with).

However, I am not deluded - I know I have no chance at the very top commercial/chancery sets (Blackstone, 20 Essex Street, Brick Court, One Essex Court, Wilberforce, Maitland), because I didn't get a top First from Oxford.

I just got a 2:1 in my finals. I did do very well one year, winning a prize, but Final year is the main one at Oxbridge.

Anyway, I've been told that I do have a chance in other London sets, maybe some less famous commercial sets or sets which do a mixture of commercial and other work, but I just have this ominous feeling that I will just fail at the Bar because I didn't get a First. Help?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by xyz94

Anyway, I've been told that I do have a chance in other London sets, maybe some "less elite" commercial sets or sets which do a mixture of commercial and other work, but I just have this ominous feeling that I will just fail at the Bar because I didn't get a First. Help?

What you have been told is correct and your ominous feeling is wrong. The success or otherwise of your pupillage applications will come down to a lot more than your degree grade. A 2:2 would have caused you serious problems, but a 2:1 is absolutely fine. It may not make you stand out the way that a First would, but the lack of a First does not doom you in any way, shape or form.

A good pupillage application is about much more than stellar grades. There's no reason at all why you can't still put together a very good application with a 2:1 from Oxford. On a side note, you assume too much about what everyone knows or believes about Oxford. Winning a prize in your second year is a nice little bonus. It won't make or break an application, but it is a clear achievement and not something that you should do yourself down over.
Reply 2
Original post by xyz94
I just got a 2:1 in my finals (stupid choices, borrowing papers from another Tripos - nothing I can do now).

Small detail, but Oxford doesn't call it a Tripos. That's Cambridge. :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Small detail, but Oxford doesn't call it a Tripos. That's Cambridge. :wink:

Aha yes! Most of my friends went to Cambridge. Their habits rub off on me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending