The Student Room Group

What's so bad about men showing vulnerability?

As per title.

I know a lot of people say they are against the so-called "toxic masculinity" but at the same time, they take the piss out of guys who show even the slightest bit of sentimentality.

Why do those attitudes even exist? whom do they serve?
Original post by Anonymous
As per title.

I know a lot of people say they are against the so-called "toxic masculinity" but at the same time, they take the piss out of guys who show even the slightest bit of sentimentality.

Men like to come off very manly and emotions are seen as a female thing. So to keep up a strong manly imagine men don’t like to show emotions. As for taking the piss out of other guys, friends do it because it’s an easy laugh. If other people don’t do it as a laugh it’s because they are dicks who think they will elevate themselves by putting others down.
there's ignorance on both sides, so just pick ur battles
the preconceive idea is that when a man shows vulnerability, means he's a "Pussy" which is kinda true as men are meant to be dominant. Guys just take the piss out of other guys because it's just for fun. If some random person does, it's because they most likely want to belittle that person to prove that they are more of a dominant male.
There is nothing bad about it.
Reply 5
I'm not sure if it's entirely fair to say that we have a problem with male vulnerability. We have a problem with incommensurate male emotion. If a (liked) male world leader gets teary-eyed during an important speech, the large majority commend him for his passion/commitment/desire to improve the world/etc. If a guy wins a major sporting event and starts weeping most of us (not all) don't condescend; we understand that it's a huge moment for him. What we don't tolerate is guys getting sentimental over what we perceive to be trivial/unimportant, whereas we don't really care to the same extent if women exhibit the same behaviour. Perhaps this is because we tend to expect more of men in general. It's a complicated issue, for sure.
Original post by Anonymous
As per title.

I suppose it’s because people are afraid of the world moving forward, changing thier dated ideas. I think as women have to fight to be taken seriously, to have equal opportunities, men have to fight to finally be seen as human being who have feelings and are allowed to show emotion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending