The Student Room Group

Best for University of Law or BPP? URGENT!

Best for LPC- Uni of Law or BPP???

Hi

I have an offer from both BPP and Uni of law to do the LPC. However, I am not sure which one to accept (need to decide by tomorrow).

I have been to both open days and was impressed with both for different reasons. My main concern is the quality of teaching, approachability of tutors and support of the employability staff. I got a 2:2 in undergrad law and am worried this will make it difficult to get a training contract, I am also worried this may affect the employability staffs' willingness to support me. During both open days I spoke to staff about this, I found BPP staff more positive than Uni of Law staff. BPP's head of LPC called me and was really encouraging on the phone. However, I can't help but feel that Uni of Law may be the better option. Their open day and website was more detailed. I also like their Step programme and employment promise (it makes the LPC feel like less of a risk).

Please, has anyone completed or is currently studying the LPC at these two institutions. If so what has been your experience with the teaching, employability, pro bono, societies???
Did any of you get a 2:2 in the LLB too but managed to get a TC or paralegal role??? Or do you know of someone who has?

I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks :-)
(edited 5 years ago)
Six and two threes.

@J-SP.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Your 2.2 will make it more difficult to get a TC - but the best university in the world is not going to change that, particularly for the LPC.

As said above they are basically identical - the only differences people really talk about are location and whether the assessments are open book or not.

The STEP programme is mainly a load of online resources, and the employment promise is only really useful if you are happy and can afford to study another course (which may not improve your legal career prospects anyway). The Head of the LPC calling you is just a marketing ploy trying to convince you to sign up.

No legal recruiter will see any difference between BPP or UoL for the LPC so go for the one that feels right for you personally.

And don’t be pressurised into making a decision tomorrow - there will be many people signing up to either course in September, even a week or two after the course has started. If you are still unsure, ask for an extension of the offer.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
Sorry should have said “will not see any difference”.

Did you study at any of these institutions?
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
No - but I’ve worked with both since 2005.

Oh I see :-) Thanks.
I have just accepted Uni of laws offer. I know its up to me to work hard and secure my own employment. Its what I make of the experience.

Quick Reply