The Student Room Group

How is being transgender not a mental illness?

I honestly don't understand how it isn't considered one. Nowadays people are identifying with something they are physically and biologically not. I don't understand what the difference is between identifying as the opposite gender or as a dog. If someone started barking, acting like a dog we would be quick to say that "he isn't right in the head" and he would most likely be sent for some form of psychological treatment. How come when it comes to being transgender we don't have the same approach? Yes, I do disagree with the hate they receive. I personally don't really care that much on the issue as it doesn't directly affect me, but I'm curious on what peoples thoughts are on it. I'm open to being educated.

Scroll to see replies

heats up popcorn. no one say **** till my popcorn's finished.
Reply 2
Okay I'm transgender. I'm not mad.

Gender dysphoria is the only thing that can, by definition, be classed as a mental illness.

So therefore, by definition, simply BEING transgender cannot be classed as one. I doubt you can explain how it can be once you look up the definition of a mental illness.

Not all transgender people experience dysphoria. I didn't.

Have a nice night, it's hard to understand something you haven't experienced I understand. But please don't go around telling people that do we're mentally ill, it's just not constructive. Just let us identify how we want. I am not biologically the sex I want to be, however I identify as such. That's IT.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
If supporting Everton isn't a mental illness then nowt is.
Reply 4
Original post by Bang Outta Order
heats up popcorn. no one say **** till my popcorn's finished.

Why do you get off on people being offended? That is the question. Haha.
Original post by gjd800
If supporting Everton isn't a mental illness then nowt is.

lmao typical woolly comment :wink:

lol jk Im not from liverpool so idc about the reds v blues
Reply 6
Original post by Plus7

Gender dysphoria is the only thing that can, by definition, be classed as a mental illness.

So therefore, by definition, simply BEING transgender cannot be classed as one. I doubt you can explain how it can be once you look up the definition of a mental illness.

Have a nice night, it's hard to understand something you haven't experienced I understand. But please don't go around telling people that do we're mentally ill, it's just not constructive. Just let us identify how we want. I am not biologically the sex I want to be, however I identify as such. That's IT.

What's the difference between being transgender and being gender dysphoric?
Reply 7
Original post by Plus7

But if people didn't have gender dysphoria why else would they need to dress up as the opposite sex? The definition of the word is "the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex" if you didn't feel this then why else would there be the need to cross-dress or have the need to get a sex change? I'm honestly sorry if my words had offended you or anyone else, I am genuinely curious about this issue.
Reply 8
Original post by Plus7

Transgenderism =/= Gender Dysphoria???
Reply 9
Original post by Joel 96
Transgenderism =/= Gender Dysphoria???

You could at least do research before asking me that.
Original post by Plus7
You could at least do research before asking me that.

I thought I had.
What do you believe the difference is?
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
But if people didn't have gender dysphoria why else would they need to dress up as the opposite sex? The definition of the word is "the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex" if you didn't feel this then why else would there be the need to cross-dress or have the need to get a sex change? I'm honestly sorry if my words had offended you or anyone else, I am genuinely curious about this issue.

Is there a general age that people realize they are transgender or experience gender dysphoria? Can it happen late in life?
Not all transgender people suffer from gender dysphoria and that distinction is important to keep in mind. Gender dysphoria and/or coming out as transgender can occur at any age.
The DSM-5* distinguishes between Gender Dysphoria in Childhood for those who experience GD before puberty. The diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria in Adolescents and Adults can occur at any age. For those who experience gender dysphoria later in life, they often report having secretly hidden their gender dysphoric feelings from others when they were younger.

Why do you feel the need to argue with me? I AM TRANS, I did not have dysphoria. I just know I'm the opposite sex.

https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/gender-dysphoria/expert-qa
Reply 12
Original post by Joel 96
I thought I had.
What do you believe the difference is?

You clearly haven't dug deep enough.

The difference is dysphoria is an intense dislike of one's physical appearance concerning their biological sex. It's not simply dislike. It's constant discomfort.

I may have experienced it in childhood (around the age of 9), but now (even pre everything) it does not exist.
Reply 13
Original post by Bang Outta Order
lmao typical woolly comment :wink:

lol jk Im not from liverpool so idc about the reds v blues

Wool? I'm from inner-city Liverpool, man :laugh: :laugh:
Original post by Plus7

The difference is dysphoria is an intense dislike of one's physical appearance concerning their biological sex. It's not simply dislike. It's constant discomfort.

I may have experienced it in childhood (around the age of 9), but now (even pre everything) it does not exist.

So the difference is the intensity of the dislike?
Reply 15
I am still waiting for an answer as to how being transgender actually constitutes as a mental illness. I'm not talking petty opinions, I'm talking by actual definition of a mental illness. It seems you simply dislike 'men' in dresses. That's a very shallow and one-sided take on it. Why are you so insecure you can't handle some 'men' (not men, but for your logic) are trans? Sigh.
Original post by Plus7
Is there a general age that people realize they are transgender or experience gender dysphoria? Can it happen late in life?
Not all transgender people suffer from gender dysphoria and that distinction is important to keep in mind. Gender dysphoria and/or coming out as transgender can occur at any age.
The DSM-5* distinguishes between Gender Dysphoria in Childhood for those who experience GD before puberty. The diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria in Adolescents and Adults can occur at any age. For those who experience gender dysphoria later in life, they often report having secretly hidden their gender dysphoric feelings from others when they were younger.

Why do you feel the need to argue with me? I AM TRANS, I did not have dysphoria. I just know I'm the opposite sex.

https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/gender-dysphoria/expert-qa

No need to get triggered lol. I'm not arguing with you, I'm simply asking questions on a topic I don't know much about. Why would the age you feel gender dysphoric matter? Either way, you feel like you are something you aren't. Where and who decides where to draw the line?
Original post by gjd800
Wool? I'm from inner-city Liverpool, man :laugh: :laugh:

all right all right dont shoot lol
Reply 18
Original post by Sataris
So the difference is the intensity of the dislike?

It. Does. Not. Exist. For. Me. And many other transgender people. I know this is hard to understand, I will try to be patient. But I am repeating myself, people are persistent with thinking this is a mental illness. Go and talk to a transgender person in person, or do research on it.

I can't convince you, I've stated my take on it and that's that.
Original post by Plus7

That's quite a subtle distinction, if a distinction at all.
The DSM-5 clearly states that the individual must show at least 2 of these to be diagnosed:

A marked incongruence between one’s experienced/expressed gender and primary and/or secondary sex characteristics

A strong desire to be rid of one’s primary and/or secondary sex characteristics

A strong desire for the primary and/or secondary sex characteristics of the other gender

A strong desire to be of the other gender

A strong desire to be treated as the other gender

A strong conviction that one has the typical feelings and reactions of the other gender

Transgenderism seems, to me, to be the absolute result of gender dysphoria, is it not?

Latest

Trending

Trending