The Student Room Group

Any questions for a truck driver?

I'm a class 1 hgv driver. I also hold car and an unrestricted motorcycle license. I'm currently a PhD student. I got all my licenses in the army, and now I work part-time as an agency driver as well as studying.

A class 1 hgv driver means I can drive the biggest vehicles on the road. I also have qualifications to drive dangerous goods vehicle but I chose not too. After leaving the army I worked full time for some of the biggest logistics companies in Europe. I've driven around Europe but spent most of my driving career in the UK.

So I wondered if anyone had any questions about this sort of stuff? I'm planning on using the forum to ask questions that will help me - so I thought I'd offer to answer some first.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How come you don't do ADR?
Original post by gjd800
How come you don't do ADR?

Frankly, because the orange plates are an invitation for the DVSA (formerly VOSA) to pull you over - I have no problem with that because I'm legal. But the increase in wage is minimal if at all.

I don't have the PDP (fuel tankers) qualification so it's not worth it in terms of the stress of reward for me.
Reply 3
Original post by badphdstudent
Frankly, because the orange plates are an invitation for the DVSA (formerly VOSA) to pull you over - I have no problem with that because I'm legal. But the increase in wage is minimal if at all.

I don't have the PDP (fuel tankers) qualification so it's not worth it in terms of the stress of reward for me.

Makes sense I guess. I used to work in the chemical industry before I went back to education so a lot of my mates are still tanker drivers!
Original post by gjd800
Makes sense I guess. I used to work in the chemical industry before I went back to education so a lot of my mates are still tanker drivers!

Can't comment unless I know what chemicals they are. Some tanker drivers earn top $$$ whilst others are seen nothing more than glorified general haulage. I've always been able to earn the same/more pulling fridges for supermarkets so I've not bothered.
Is it true truckers only eat cooked breakfasts and McDonalds?;;@@
Reply 6
Can't comment unless I know what chemicals they are. Some tanker drivers earn top $$$ whilst others are seen nothing more than glorified general haulage. I've always been able to earn the same/more pulling fridges for supermarkets so I've not bothered.

I don't want to give too much away on here really (people already know too much about me, ha), but they were generally nasty shite that next to nobody else'd touch, hydrocarbons, pharma stuff and that. I used to be enamoured with the idea of driving tankers all day with me CDs on in the cab and that, obviously never happened haha.
Original post by Luke5125
Is it true truckers only eat cooked breakfasts and McDonalds?;;@@

Nah. When I was tramping (sleeping in my truck) or working nights I'd be partial to McBreakfast (as their price is stable unlike other crap food merchants). But most trucks have fridges and we have the ability to cook food if we want. Also, propper truck stops offer far more unhealthy options which we prefer.
How many prostitutes have you murdered?
Original post by gjd800
I don't want to give too much away on here really (people already know too much about me, ha), but they were generally nasty shite that next to nobody else'd touch, hydrocarbons, pharma stuff and that. I used to be enamoured with the idea of driving tankers all day with me CDs on in the cab and that, obviously never happened haha.

Really isn't enough to say.

As a general rule ADR pays £1/houre more than standard. But since the CPC was introduced (the truckers version of professional development) many drivers have ADR as it's a qualification rather than vegetation being told about driving regulations by someone who has never sat in a truck let alone driven one.

As a general rule you will earn more pulling fridges for a supermarket than you will pulling ADR. Tankers are a bit special - even flour tankers. But a job driving for co-op going multi drop in an artic will pay more. For the most part.
Reply 10
Original post by Afforestation

lmao =))))

Personally none. Hitchhikers, however...
Have you ever played Euro Truck Simulator 2?
Original post by Sataris
Have you ever played Euro Truck Simulator 2?

Don't even know what it is. So no I'm afraid.
Don't even know what it is. So no I'm afraid.

Darn, I was hoping to find out if the gameplay reflected real life
Reply 15
Really isn't enough to say.

As a general rule ADR pays £1/houre more than standard. But since the CPC was introduced (the truckers version of professional development) many drivers have ADR as it's a qualification rather than vegetation being told about driving regulations by someone who has never sat in a truck let alone driven one.

As a general rule you will earn more pulling fridges for a supermarket than you will pulling ADR. Tankers are a bit special - even flour tankers. But a job driving for co-op going multi drop in an artic will pay more. For the most part.

Put like that it's no surprise you'd not opt for it. More responsibility for minimal reward, no ta!
Reply 16
How you do feel as a British person driving around Europe?
Original post by Heyok
How you do feel as a British person driving around Europe?

Honestly... driving in Europe is great.

Compared to the UK the roads are less congested. I'm treated with more respect. And I get to see and experience more things. In some parts of europe you are still expected to exchange money for easy passage. But that is okay.

Some parts of Europe are hard work. Like Paris. But generally I genuinely enjoy it. Going through the mountains of Italy and being paid for it is an honor.

In the UK at deliveries it's not uncommon to be spoken to like the underclass. In Europe it's more likely you will be offered a drink or a sandwich.

Some European drivers are also much more friendly. The poorer they are the nicer they are. It would be rare to park next to a Polish driver and not have him offer to share his food with you. Even though he might be paid 1/10th of what I am.
(edited 5 years ago)
Personally none. Hitchhikers, however...

Hitchikers are easy, i imagine they just get sucked right under the 18-wheeler?
Hitchikers are easy, i imagine they just get sucked right under the 18-wheeler?

Not really... cyclists in bust cities, however!

Cyclists are not blameless. A safe cyclist has very little to fear from a truck. It's slightly soul destroying when you are desperately trying to keep them safe and one knocks on your door to tell you that 'the noise saying you are turning left if annoying me turn it off'.

Truck drivers generally really bloody care about keeping people safe. But you have no idea how much abuse you have to put up with doing so. If I chose to take two lanes at a roundabout it isn't for fun... It's because I don't want to split your car open like a tin opener. Doesn't stop people hooting their horns or using hand gestures to tell me how awful I am.

Quick Reply

Latest