is this rape? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
what if you are having consensual sex with a girl and then midway she says no? or she gives 'signs' that she didn't want to do something but verbally said yes, is that rape too? What if mentally she said no but physically said yes? I'm baft. What's stopping any Tom, **** and Harry from claiming they were raped after consensual sex? How can they disprove it? Wouldn't the accusation be enough to ruin someone's life? What if later its's proved you weren't the rapist, then what? You're pretty much done for life anyways.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If midway she says 'stop', you ought to stop. No question.

The rest requires context. You might be coercive or threatening (and even have a history of it), so a verbal 'yes' mightn't mean much. That'd be something to distinguish as point of fact upon your trial.
badphdstudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I'm boxing and someone says 'enough' or 'stop' then I'd stop. I'd so the same in sex. If the person has had enough you don't keep going. This is common sense.
Afforestation
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
what if you are having consensual sex with a girl and then midway she says no? or she gives 'signs' that she didn't want to do something but verbally said yes, is that rape too? What if mentally she said no but physically said yes? I'm baft. What's stopping any Tom, **** and Harry from claiming they were raped after consensual sex? How can they disprove it? Wouldn't the accusation be enough to ruin someone's life? What if later its's proved you weren't the rapist, then what? You're pretty much done for life anyways.
If they show signs they dont like it, or says no, you stop. This shouldnt even be a question. The rape accusations are a different story. I dont really know what to do about other than basically make sure the girl was so totally happy with you that she would be really unlikely to accuse you of that anyway. That's what id want the girl to be anyway.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would be rape, but likely very difficult to prove especially if the victim admits (as she should) that she initially did consent.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Consent is something you can withdraw at any point. Anything before that remains consensual, but if somebody were to ignore their partner saying "stop" or pushing them away or making any other indicators of withdrawing consent then yes it would be rape.
If somebody just decides part way through or after the fact that they didn't enjoy it, but at no point withdrew consent then it's not rape.
There has to be at least some reasonable indication for consent. In the case of starting sex that means people need to be consious, in a state to understand what's going on and making some sort of indication that they're happy with what's happening. In the case of stopping an act that means one person can't just decide in their head they don't like it anymore and expect the other to magically know.
There's a bit of a grey area with people not noticing indicators though.
In the case of giving contradicting signs you should really go for the safe option or push for clarification. So semi-concious person saying "do me" you should probably just call it a night cos they aren't in a great state to be giving consent. And saying yes, but looking terrified or not into it you should probably pause and ask if they're sure. That's a gray area as far as "actual rape" is concerned, but pretty basic manners.

What's stopping somebody telling lies? Couldn't fake accusations ruin lives?
Unfortunately people do lie about rape sometimes and yeah that can really mess lives up. Some people have even spent years in prison over false accusations.

How do you stop that?
Well that's really tough. Right now it kinda comes down to detective work and sunny if there's anything too back up the accusation. Sometimes that can mean actual cases of rape can't be proved and sometimes it mean innocent people aren't punished because of lies. It's not a perfect system and individual bias also plays a part in that.
It's a compacted issue though so it's really difficult to enforce.

Hope that covers everything.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads