Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some people who have diabetes do not secrete insulin. Explain how a lack of insulin affects reabsorbtion of glucose in the kidneys of a person who does not secrete insulin. (4 marks)

Anybody able to talk me through the answer?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

a) Normally, virtually ALL glucose is reabsorbed in the early proximal tubule (there are only a few mg per dL in urine)
    b) This is achieved by the action of SGLT 2 (sodium-dependent glucose transporter 2)
    c) SGLT 2 transports glucose out of the proximal tubule into the renal interstitium in association with Na+ (= by secondary active transport)
    d) When insulin is very deficient or absent, blood glucose rises and when it exceedss the renal threshold (180mg/dL), the reabsorption mechanism exceeds its transport maximum (Tm), and glucose appears in the urine (= glycosuria).

M

ReputationRep:
    kathy9

Hi I have walked you through it above (wow - your hands are so small - sorry, its because mine are massive!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
    kathy9

Hi I have walked you through it above (wow - your hands are so small - sorry, its because mine are massive!)
    thanks by the way, finished my a levels now yay! whats this about small hands?? lol

ReputationRep:
    The "joke" was that if I were to literally walk you through the Q holding your hand, you would probs scream, which is what happens even to guys twice my size when we simply handshake!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.