Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some people who have diabetes do not secrete insulin. Explain how a lack of insulin affects reabsorbtion of glucose in the kidneys of a person who does not secrete insulin. (4 marks)

Anybody able to talk me through the answer?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

a) Normally, virtually ALL glucose is reabsorbed in the early proximal tubule (there are only a few mg per dL in urine)
    b) This is achieved by the action of SGLT 2 (sodium-dependent glucose transporter 2)
    c) SGLT 2 transports glucose out of the proximal tubule into the renal interstitium in association with Na+ (= by secondary active transport)
    d) When insulin is very deficient or absent, blood glucose rises and when it exceedss the renal threshold (180mg/dL), the reabsorption mechanism exceeds its transport maximum (Tm), and glucose appears in the urine (= glycosuria).

M

ReputationRep:
    kathy9

Hi I have walked you through it above (wow - your hands are so small - sorry, its because mine are massive!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
    kathy9

Hi I have walked you through it above (wow - your hands are so small - sorry, its because mine are massive!)
    thanks by the way, finished my a levels now yay! whats this about small hands?? lol

ReputationRep:
    The "joke" was that if I were to literally walk you through the Q holding your hand, you would probs scream, which is what happens even to guys twice my size when we simply handshake!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2018

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.