Which university is best for information/cyber security? Watch

eladr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm an computer engineer with 7 years of working experience in this area and I'm planning to enroll in a master programme for Cyber/information security.
Now, I've got 3 offer and also one application that i'm waiting for their reply.
Universities and programmes are as follows.
University of Sheffield- Master of Science Cybersecurity and Artificial Intelligence
Loughborough University - M.Sc. Cyber Security and Big Data
Royal Holloway, University of London- MSc Information Security with a Year in Industry
The university of Warwick- Cyber SEcurity Engineering (still waiting for their reply)

Here is my question.
I heard about RHUL is the best in this subject.
Warwick has the best reputation among others.
Sheffield 's AI combination can be rewarding.
So which one is the most beneficial and good at this subject?

Thanks in advance.
The National Cyber Security Centre
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by eladr)
I'm an computer engineer with 7 years of working experience in this area and I'm planning to enroll in a master programme for Cyber/information security.
Now, I've got 3 offer and also one application that i'm waiting for their reply.
University of Sheffield- Master of Science Cybersecurity and Artificial Intelligence
Royal Holloway, University of London- MSc Information Security with a Year in Industry
The university of Warwick- Cyber SEcurity Engineering (still waiting for their reply)

Here is my question.

Thanks in advance.
eladr - first, it's great to hear that you're thinking of undertaking further study in this area. with regard to your questions about which university to choose, sadly there are no obvious or 'right' answers. RHUL's course does have an excellent reputation, but does it offer the sorts of modules, and focus on the areas of cyber security that you want? If it does, then it's a good choice - if not, then another course will likely be better.

In a similar vein, Warwick's course has a good reputation, but again for the disciplines on which it focuses - other courses also have a good reputation within the community.

Depending on how you plan to study/undertake the course it's also important to consider the location of the university, the numbers of students, and their methods of teaching.

To try and help answer some of these questions, here at the UK's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), we introduced a programme to identify excellent degrees in cyber security. A variety of Master's degrees have currently met the standard, and you can find the list at https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/...tified-degrees

Each course listed on that page has links to the relevant pages at the universities' websites, which will give you details of fees, modules studied and any bursaries that may be available. There is lots of variety amongst the courses, so you should be able to find one that meets your needs and interests.

Undertaking an NCSC-certified Master's degree means that you will be studying relevant and high-quality material, delivered by knowledgeable staff in excellent facilities. Each course has been assessed against rigorous standards by a panel of independent experts, drawn from industry, government and academia.

We're happy to try and answer any other questions you may have, either on the thread or via DM - good luck with your search, and we hope you find a course that meets your needs!
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by eladr)

Here is my question.

Thanks in advance.
I would definitely consider between Warwick or Loughborough, RHUL is not really a known technology school by trade, you go there to read the arts etc.

Further big data in your degree title should be something not underestimated! That is the future...data collection and maintaining security!
The National Cyber Security Centre
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
... RHUL is not really a known technology school by trade, you go there to read the arts etc.
We'd just like to make a point of order here.

Whilst the NCSC don't recommend individual universities over each other within our programme of certified degrees (as they offer different things, aimed at different people), the Information Security MSc programme at Royal Holloway is in fact the oldest in the country (tracing its origins to 1992). Their Information Security Group is long-standing and comprises many experts in their fields, and they are also recognised as an Academic Centre of Excellence for Cyber Security Research (ACE-CSR), in addition to having a number degrees certified.

They may not be the best choice for everybody (as each individual is different), but it is somewhat unfair to say that they are not known for technology. Were you thinking of Roehampton by any chance?
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by The National Cyber Security Centre)
We'd just like to make a point of order here.

Whilst the NCSC don't recommend individual universities over each other within our programme of certified degrees (as they offer different things, aimed at different people), the Information Security MSc programme at Royal Holloway is in fact the oldest in the country (tracing its origins to 1992). Their Information Security Group is long-standing and comprises many experts in their fields, and they are also recognised as an Academic Centre of Excellence for Cyber Security Research (ACE-CSR), in addition to having a number degrees certified.

They may not be the best choice for everybody (as each individual is different), but it is somewhat unfair to say that they are not known for technology. Were you thinking of Roehampton by any chance?
Potentially you may have more inside knowledge of the inner workings of the department, but RHUL doesnt have an overall reputation of technological brilliance..It ranks 29th in the complete university table for computer science, and doesnt have the same brand name as warwick or loughborough as an overall university. Further i have been on an open day as it was my insurance choice, it retains a very laid back old style campus in a village.
Loughborough University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by eladr)

Here is my question.

Thanks in advance.

Hi eladr

We've been in touch with the programme director, Safak Dogan, and he's send this response which I thought you might find interesting:

“The MSc Cyber Security & Big Data programme offered by the Loughborough University’s London campus is unique, as it covers the very important ‘data, network, communication security and privacy protection’ on one hand and the very related ‘big data science’ on the other, which is something that cannot be found at other universities as an integral programme. Studying cyber security and big data gives graduates a significantly competitive edge over the others in a world where many sectors are facing cyber security and data analytics skills shortage globally.

The knowledge and hands-on experience provided by the programme modules prepared by the leading academics in both areas empowers students to advance their career in these very timely topics. The Loughborough University London also connects students with companies during the course, which offers excellent job opportunities; and from its London base, such connection is facilitated to further extents.

Loughborough University is a top 10 university in the UK [Guardian & The Complete Uni Guides 2018], with its very high research intensity [REF 2014] and for its Gold rated teaching quality [TEF 2017]. Once more, it has won this year’s Student Experience Award - consistently, 11th time since the inception of this prestigious award in 2006. It has also been ranked as number 1 for student - employer connection [1st in the UK for employer-student connections - QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2017].

I have 2 students I can put you in touch with to talk to directly if you think you’ll find this useful.”

Here's a link to Safak's staff profile: http://www.lborolondon.ac.uk/about/staff/safak-dogan/ and if you would like to talk to a student directly, PM me your details and I can send you some information.

Hope this helps
Vicky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (155)
18.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (82)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (141)
16.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (119)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.48%
How can I be the best version of myself? (257)
30.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed