The Student Room Group

Student finance application process. What next?

Hello,

I applied to student finance (not online, but by sending a completed form) and received an answer a few weeks later informing me that I am eligible to get the sum of money (tuition fee loan; maximum I can get 9250 UK pounds) that I applied for and to “keep this letter as evidence” if required. However, I was not asked about my household income or other personal information that is relevant for eligibility status. So, can I be sure that I am eligible (because in the same letter it states that any new information might change the decision made... or is it referring only to the present information that is modified??) ? Considering my application process is not over, what should I do next? Just wait for them to contact me or should I take the initiative to complete the process (if yes then how)? There is no much time left until deadline, so clear answers please.

Thank you.
Original post by petropetro
Hello,

I applied to student finance (not online, but by sending a completed form) and received an answer a few weeks later informing me that I am eligible to get the sum of money (tuition fee loan; maximum I can get 9250 UK pounds) that I applied for and to “keep this letter as evidence” if required. However, I was not asked about my household income or other personal information that is relevant for eligibility status. So, can I be sure that I am eligible (because in the same letter it states that any new information might change the decision made... or is it referring only to the present information that is modified??) ? Considering my application process is not over, what should I do next? Just wait for them to contact me or should I take the initiative to complete the process (if yes then how)? There is no much time left until deadline, so clear answers please.

Thank you.

Hi petropetro,

To help you better can I ask if you have applied as an EU student on the EU application form or as a home student?

Thanks Rona
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi petropetro,

To help you better can I ask if you have applied as an EU student on the EU application form or as a home student?

Thanks Rona

I applied as an EU student. I had the eu18n form completed (in case it means anything to you).
I applied as an EU student. I had the eu18n form completed (in case it means anything to you).

Hi petropetro,

You have applied on and EU application this means that you have applied for tuition fees only, if you wish to apply as a home student you must meet the following criteria,

EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)

Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course

Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/grandchild must receive wages for this work but can also have ‘pocket money’ for voluntary work i.e. Au Pair

This work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary

We would also require evidence and you will also need to complete a PN1 application form.

PN1 - https://bit.ly/2H8DT5g

Employed

The students original Passport or National ID Card

Croatian Nationals Only - Migrant Worker’s Permit (yellow/blue or purple card)

A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)

The students last 3 months payslips (if available)

The students most recent P60 (if available)

Students who own their own company and are director but are getting paid wages need to send in the employment evidence listed above along with confirmation of self employment or a letter from HMRC confirming the company is registered in the students name

Termly evidence

Self Employed

Evidence that the student is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)

The students last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)

The students last 3 months business expenditure (if available)

The students most recent tax return (if available)

Termly evidence

Thanks

Catherine
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi petropetro,

You have applied on and EU application this means that you have applied for tuition fees only, if you wish to apply as a home student you must meet the following criteria,

EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)

Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course

Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/grandchild must receive wages for this work but can also have ‘pocket money’ for voluntary work i.e. Au Pair

This work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary

We would also require evidence and you will also need to complete a PN1 application form.

PN1 - https://bit.ly/2H8DT5g

Employed

A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer)

The students last 3 months payslips (if available)

The students most recent P60 (if available)

Students who own their own company and are director but are getting paid wages need to send in the employment evidence listed above along with confirmation of self employment or a letter from HMRC confirming the company is registered in the students name

Termly evidence

Self Employed

Evidence that the student is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)

The students last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)

The students last 3 months business expenditure (if available)

The students most recent tax return (if available)

Termly evidence

Thanks

Catherine

Hello Catherine,

Which are the advantages I have as a home student (in contrast to an EU student)?

Thank you for answering.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello Catherine,

Do I get any advantages if I apply as a home student rather than just EU student? If yes, which are they?

Thank you for answering.

Hi petropetro,

Home students can apply for maintenance loan, EU students are entitled to tuition fees only.

Thanks

Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending