Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if I would be able to do petroleum engineering Msc with a chemistry degree?
    We have modules regarding separation, chemical reactions etc and my dissertation is related to petroleum and separation processes as well.
    Most unis say they accept science degrees but I’m just not sure if chemistry is one of them.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if chemistry is a science degree? It is.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Not sure if chemistry is a science degree? It is.
    It is a science degree indeed but what I meant was that if it can be a chemistry degree ( since some unis require math or physics degree for petroleum engineering) or a chemical engineering degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara24444)
    It is a science degree indeed but what I meant was that if it can be a chemistry degree ( since some unis require math or physics degree for petroleum engineering) or a chemical engineering degree.
    If it says you need a science degree then chemistry will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of requirement yes, I think you meet the requirement. But the truth is your educational background, has nothing to do with the major topics in petroleum engineering. You definitely can do it considering your knowledge background, but it will be a very busy year for you. Separation, Chemical reactions etc is not petroleum engineering but rather chemical engineering.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt fossil fuel running out? Why are you trying to get msc in a job that wont exist in couple of years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    Isnt fossil fuel running out? Why are you trying to get msc in a job that wont exist in couple of years?
    Lmao, fossil fuels aren't running out in our lifetime.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by amhmuf227)
    In terms of requirement yes, I think you meet the requirement. But the truth is your educational background, has nothing to do with the major topics in petroleum engineering. You definitely can do it considering your knowledge background, but it will be a very busy year for you. Separation, Chemical reactions etc is not petroleum engineering but rather chemical engineering.
    Pretty much this

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, fossil fuels aren't running out in our lifetime.
    But a lot of people are jumping on the electric vehicle hype. Some countries are thinking of banning fossil based cars etc. Also unlike mech and aero petroleum is too specific you can’t transfer the skill anywhere if you get stuck. There’s almost no reason to major in petroleum

ReputationRep:
    But a lot of people are jumping on the electric vehicle hype. Some countries are thinking of banning fossil based cars etc. Also unlike mech and aero petroleum is too specific you can’t transfer the skill anywhere if you get stuck. There’s almost no reason to major in petroleum
    Not in the next couple of years lol. And even if petrol and diesel cars are banned entirely, that's not the only use for fossil fuels.

That's not true at all. Plenty of engineering positions will accept any engineering degree - you're by no means limited to petroleum.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of engineering positions will accept any engineering degree - you're by no means limited to petroleum.

Not in the next couple of years lol. And even if petrol and diesel cars are banned entirely, that's not the only use for fossil fuels.

That's not true at all. Plenty of engineering positions will accept any engineering degree - you're by no means limited to petroleum.

Lol have you graduated with an engineering job? Or you’re one of those peoples with the misconception about engineering about how it makes you so diverse you can get any job 😂

ReputationRep:
    Lol have you graduated with an engineering job? Or you’re one of those peoples with the misconception about engineering about how it makes you so diverse you can get any job 😂
    I have a job lined up for when I graduate this year.

Engineering is a very diverse degree but there's a big difference between having the minimum requirements for a job and actually getting an offer. Petroleum engineering will open loads of doors but you still need to make yourself stand out although the same is true for mech and aero so I'm not entirely sure what your point was.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2018

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.