Are criminology modules easier than law modules? Watch

lolly12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am in my final year of doing Law but i choose one criminology module.
In general, are criminology modules easier to get marks in compared to law modules?
I know it depends on the module but i'm talking just generally
choco_monsterxo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They’re probably similar as they both require long essays and technical language
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. And there are quite a few reasons why.

Anyone who says otherwise is mentally challenged.

(Original post by choco_monsterxo)
They’re probably similar as they both require long essays and technical language
ooo long words and long language
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
???
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
???
You sound like you're 10. Using "big words" is something that my 8 year old cousin thinks is a sign of achievement.
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
You sound like you're 10.
Maybe i am
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe i am
Aye, which is why your mental age puts you in a position where you think the two are equated.
choco_monsterxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, which is why your mental age puts you in a position where you think the two are equated.
Obviously
lolly12
Rep:
?
Yes. And there are quite a few reasons why.

Anyone who says otherwise is mentally challenged.
Have you done both a law module and criminology module? In general, the content for the criminology module seems easier in the sense that it is not much law, it is mostly theory/opinions.
I am hoping that the exam will be easier than a law exam so i can get extra marks from it.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lolly12)
Have you done both a law module and criminology module? In general, the content for the criminology module seems easier in the sense that it is not much law, it is mostly theory/opinions.
I am hoping that the exam will be easier than a law exam so i can get extra marks from it.
Yes. I've done all the toughie law mods and a couple of half-unit "social theory/criminology"-related modules in first year (had no choice). I've also encountered isolated criminology arguments in law modules (e.g. EU law - AFSJ - the criminalisation of migration). Criminology is piss. And this isn't personal opinion either. It is simply a less intellectually rigorous area of study. Hence why it attracts academics with unimpressive academic backgrounds (at least compared to 'heavy' areas of the law such as commercial/land/trusts) at even the best unis in the UK.

Edit: I'm typing out answers on the go, which is why I'm making so many assertions. Lemme know if you want me to make a list of the reasons why I think what I think once I get back home
lolly12
Rep:
?
Yes. I've done all the toughie law mods and a couple of half-unit "social theory/criminology"-related modules in first year (had no choice). I've also encountered isolated criminology arguments in law modules (e.g. EU law - AFSJ - the criminalisation of migration). Criminology is piss. And this isn't personal opinion either. It is simply a less intellectually rigorous area of study. Hence why it attracts academics with unimpressive academic backgrounds (at least compared to 'heavy' areas of the law such as commercial/land/trusts) at even the best unis in the UK.

Edit: I'm typing out answers on the go, which is why I'm making so many assertions. Lemme know if you want me to make a list of the reasons why I think what I think once I get back home
That would be good thanks. I'm guessing you got a higher percentage in the criminology modules compared to law modules? I just need some reassurance as i am hoping to do really well in my criminology module to push up one of my marks for a law module. the module i am doing is exam only so i haven't had any experience yet of any criminology coursework or exam.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lolly12)
That would be good thanks. I'm guessing you got a higher percentage in the criminology modules compared to law modules? I just need some reassurance as i am hoping to do really well in my criminology module to push up one of my marks for a law module. the module i am doing is exam only so i haven't had any experience yet of any criminology coursework or exam.
Quick list as to why criminology is a bunch of piss:

- Law involves a greater requirement for close textual analysis. Hard law modules involve a lot of reading of reports, and, particularly when you're doing evaluative questions (e.g. what did Lord X mean by 'commercial context'?)

- More reading, largely due to cases and the fact that there is a clear distinction between positive and normative questions in law exams

- Reluctance of law faculties to move away from exam assessment for core modules

- More complex ideas and distinctions - a lot of criminology content is content heavy but simple and intuitive (the same applies to other similar modules such as sociology btw)

- Empirical statements are easy in criminology - it's more often than not all about reading the executive summary of a report or being able to summarise case studies. No need to memorize individual facts for key decisions.

The only distinction I can think of in favour of sociology is that there is a lot of focus on dry Civil Procedure (at least at my uni). However, the reduced amount of content kinda makes up for it)

I did averagely in the socio legal theory module because of some controversial things I said in the exam about refugees and women judges (?) Actually, at my uni, that module has the lowest percentage of Firsts among law students - because no one gives a **** about it - it's borderline interesting but content light and seems to be sidelined by the faculty
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Generally, yes.

The same is true for any socio-legal module.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?