The Student Room Group

A-level choices for Engineering

In the future i want to do engineering, I am currently in Year 11 and i have picked my A-level choices but i am stuck if i had made the right choice. I picked Art, DT and maths. I am very good at those subjects espically Art so that is a definant subject. But i'm not sure if i should of picked a science. Should of I?
Original post by AmreetB
In the future i want to do engineering, I am currently in Year 11 and i have picked my A-level choices but i am stuck if i had made the right choice. I picked Art, DT and maths. I am very good at those subjects espically Art so that is a definant subject. But i'm not sure if i should of picked a science. Should of I?

For most good engineering degrees, your chances are much better with a science; you only need one out of art and DT, so I think switching DT for physics would be good (maybe add further maths too)?
Reply 2
Physics is usually a must for electrical, mechanical, structural or aerospace engineering.
where do you wanna go big man

to go to most joints
maths
physics

If you wanna go to imperial or oxbridge
drop fmaths in there too

Besides that I'd strongly recommend at least physics along with maths, keep art as you're strong in it and replace DT with phys
Reply 4
Thank you
maths is almost universally required and physics usually but you can get away without physics in some unversities. bath only require maths for civil eng and exeter accept DT as a second science
GCE AL Maths grade B and another science subject at grade B

Candidates may offer GCE AL Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths

GCE AL/AS science includes: Biology/Human Biology*; Chemistry; Computing; Design and Technology; Economics; Electronics; Environmental Studies; Geography; Geology; Physical Education; Physics; Science (applied); Statistics.

Quick Reply

Latest