username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so sometimes theres words in the exam that are not actual concepts from the subject but just general english.. that i simply dont know... arent inviligilators or random ppl in the room allowed to tell me what it is? Its so annoying because sometimes you go home google that word and its something very easy that they really could’ve just said in the basic way because youve wouldve known what to write.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No they can’t.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
so sometimes theres words in the exam that are not actual concepts from the subject but just general english.. that i simply dont know... arent inviligilators or random ppl in the room allowed to tell me what it is? Its so annoying because sometimes you go home google that word and its something very easy that they really could’ve just said in the basic way because youve wouldve known what to write.
Can you give us some examples of words you got stuck on?

If giving you the definition of words in the exam could in some way give you an advantage, they probably wouldn't be allowed, whether it's a key concept or not. Knowledge of vocabulary is closely related to subject knowledge, I guess...
username3890778
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Can you give us some examples of words you got stuck on?

If giving you the definition of words in the exam could in some way give you an advantage, they probably wouldn't be allowed, whether it's a key concept or not. Knowledge of vocabulary is closely related to subject knowledge, I guess...
well my vocabulary isnt very big. It was marital instability. Its not a key concept in my sociology book or whatever and it was on the paper. I know it has somehing to do with marriage with the marital part but i dont know what instability is! So im seriously doomed if something like that happens on a paper.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
well my vocabulary isnt very big. It was marital instability. Its not a key concept in my sociology book or whatever and it was on the paper. I know it has somehing to do with marriage with the marital part but i dont know what instability is! So im seriously doomed if something like that happens on a paper.
That term isn't outside the realms of something I would expect an A level student to know, so I guess you need to do more wider reading in order to recognise these things.

Unless your small vocabulary is due to a learning disability, medical condition etc., you won't be given extra help, so it's up to you to try to increase your vocabulary size while you have the chance.
username3890778
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
That term isn't outside the realms of something I would expect an A level student to know, so I guess you need to do more wider reading in order to recognise these things.

Unless your small vocabulary is due to a learning disability, medical condition etc., you won't be given extra help, so it's up to you to try to increase your vocabulary size while you have the chance.
Yeah its too late for that. But thanks for the help i guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (99)
13.13%
1 (94)
12.47%
2 (94)
12.47%
19.23%
22.68%
20.03%

Watched Threads