The Student Room Group

A-level aqa economics 2018 paper predictions

hi everyone,

not sure if there’s a thread already associated with this, from what I can see on the forums there’s not, but I thought it would be good to share ideas or any predictions of specific topics that people have on what could possibly come up on paper 1, 2 and 3.

personally, I’m praying for a globalisation question for paper 3 as I find it easier to analyse!

Scroll to see replies

I reckon Paper 3 could be on Brexit.

In Paper 2 Financial Markets will surely come up as it's new and I *don't* think it came up last year, perhaps same with Labour Markets in paper 1?

Also apparently AQA are hot on their behavioural economics, according to tutor2u.

Would be concerned & slightly screwed if there weren't some of the standard production & cost theory and market structure stuff in Section 2 of the micro paper,
Original post by sa98xahm
hi everyone,

not sure if there’s a thread already associated with this, from what I can see on the forums there’s not, but I thought it would be good to share ideas or any predictions of specific topics that people have on what could possibly come up on paper 1, 2 and 3.

personally, I’m praying for a globalisation question for paper 3 as I find it easier to analyse!

are you doing as or a2?
Reply 4
Original post by Hassm100
are you doing as or a2?

I’m doing a2
Reply 5
Original post by OpenStrings
I reckon Paper 3 could be on Brexit.

In Paper 2 Financial Markets will surely come up as it's new and I *don't* think it came up last year, perhaps same with Labour Markets in paper 1?

Also apparently AQA are hot on their behavioural economics, according to tutor2u.

Would be concerned & slightly screwed if there weren't some of the standard production & cost theory and market structure stuff in Section 2 of the micro paper,

If Paper 3 is on Brexit then I well and truly am going to fail tbh. I don’t think there’s much to say about financial markets though for a 25 marker? I could possibly be wrong.

I feel as if behavioural economics is something that is likely to come up in the multiple choice rather than something as a whole 25 marker.
I think a Brexit question would be great actually. Lots of different micro and macro sides to the issue as well as the international perspective of denying the benefits from freer trade.

I agree with you about behavioural economics as it sounds more of a good thing to use for evaluation, challenging the assumption of rationality.

Just feel like financial markets will be one of the 25 markers, hopefully one of the Section 2 questions and hopefully tied in to monetary policy to make it easier to write about.

You’d think they’re wouldn’t have put it in the spec if you can’t write a 25 marker on it - despite the fact it is so far removed from anything else we study 🙄
Reply 7
Brexit Paper 3
Financial Markets as one of the data choices for macro- Assess the view that the government should regulate the financial markets e.g (more likely to be a double essay imo as very limited choice for questions)

Micro- environment will come up as it didn't last year
Reply 8
So nervous.. All of AQA papers last year's question were sooo nice! With low grade boundaries as well :'(
Deffo very much higher grade boundaries this year and much harder questions-
Very high chance of financial markets (I will cry if this is on paper 3...)
And hopefully brexit! Lots of trade And globalisation questions hopefully
And with micro; housing, nhs, environment seem to be hot topics
Reply 9
Original post by a_m123
So nervous.. All of AQA papers last year's question were sooo nice! With low grade boundaries as well :'(

Only 6% of candidates achieved an A* last year. I don't think you can assume it was particularly easy and the mcqs were quite tough.
Reply 10
Original post by junky27
Only 6% of candidates achieved an A* last year. I don't think you can assume it was particularly easy and the mcqs were quite tough.

Omg really? That’s so low I have no hope
Am I allowed to ask for AQA AS Economics Paper 2 predictions here? 😅
Reply 12
Original post by Maaaths
Am I allowed to ask for AQA AS Economics Paper 2 predictions here? 😅

Sure! I don’t think fiscal policy will come up as it’s something I did last year in AS. Maybe monetary policy and supply side. Feel like unemployment would too definitely
I would say key areas for micro and macro are, although some of these are quite broad, econ growth, national income, poverty, oligopolies, competition, price discrimation, labour market, gov intervention, AD/AS, exchange rates and of course, the 4 macro objectives. Also, brexit is bound to come up somewhere surely?
Reply 14
Brexit shouldn't be hard to talk about, in terms of the effects; you can mention pattern of trade, BoP, FDI, Employment, Inflation, Public Finances etc.
Original post by a_m123

Why do you think the grade boundaries will be higher, especially if you think the questions will be harder? Makes no sense...
Reply 16
Original post by LMsav
Why do you think the grade boundaries will be higher, especially if you think the questions will be harder? Makes no sense...

My teacher said that the grade boundaries set last year with those type of questions hadn't been that generous since 2010 when the new econ spec came up then and the next year the questions were harder and grade boundaries were higher, she believes it's unlikely they'll be that generous again, you don't have to agree it's just a point my teacher made
Original post by a_m123
My teacher said that the grade boundaries set last year with those type of questions hadn't been that generous since 2010 when the new econ spec came up then and the next year the questions were harder and grade boundaries were higher, she believes it's unlikely they'll be that generous again, you don't have to agree it's just a point my teacher made

Grade boundaries are set after everyone has sat the exam, so it's almost impossible to predict grade boundaries until the paper has been sat. I'd take what your teacher said with a pinch of salt. The grade boundaries were low last year because of the new spec, and generally difficult questions. The grade boundaries will be higher or lower again this year, dependent on the difficultly of the questions.
re predictions for paper 3 my teacher thinks financial markets could be synoptic as it links to micro via expansion/integration etc
Original post by Sophiegraceb
re predictions for paper 3 my teacher thinks financial markets could be synoptic as it links to micro via expansion/integration etc

well im screwed

Quick Reply

Latest