The Student Room Group

A-level aqa economics 2018 paper predictions

Scroll to see replies

on the micro paper I hope that plastic pollution, monopolies, oligopolies. econplusdal predicted railr nationalisation, housing market and energy but I hate all those topics. macro paper defo financial markets and possibly depreciation of exchange rate
Making predictions about what is going to be in the exam is fraught with difficulty. My advice as a teacher is to revise thoroughly and be ready for questions on any aspect of the specification.

Nevertheless, following your thread so far, BREXIT probably is a good bet for paper 2 or 3. Tutor2u has a very good presentation on it looking at the pros and cons and the possible options for the UK.

As regards financial markets, if it is a 25 mark question it is quite likely to be on the pros and cons of regulation of financial markets as this lends itself to discussion and hence evaluation.

Behavioural economics may come up as a 15 mark question asking for an explanation of aspects of behavioural economics. I think that a 25 mark question on behavioural economics alone is unlikely. It is more likely that candidates may be asked to use it as a critique/alternative to traditional economic theory.

Best of luck
Reply 22
i just want an easy question on nationalisation or ways to solve market failure... :frown: but watch how financial markets will come up and ruin our lives
financial markets is sexi!!! i want bubbles to come up
One of the main questions will be most likely on something to do with Nationalisation, most likely the railways. Another big one might be on something to do with externalities in production, such as something like pollution. Just make sure to revise a lot of market structure, as well as the effects of technology on market structure, because with what's been happening, technology and things such as Uber, a big question might come up on that too. Dal does a good video about what could come up in both the Micro and Macro exams, so you might want to check him out.
Original post by _HS
i just want an easy question on nationalisation or ways to solve market failure... :frown: but watch how financial markets will come up and ruin our lives

financial markets cant come up on micro its a macro topic
Original post by J4ck50n
One of the main questions will be most likely on something to do with Nationalisation, most likely the railways. Another big one might be on something to do with externalities in production, such as something like pollution. Just make sure to revise a lot of market structure, as well as the effects of technology on market structure, because with what's been happening, technology and things such as Uber, a big question might come up on that too. Dal does a good video about what could come up in both the Micro and Macro exams, so you might want to check him out.

I've done an essay on rail nationalisation and one on tradable pollution permits...I'm really struggling to write one on contestability, let alone technology's impact on it. Do you know of any example essays of it?
Original post by DeciusMaximus
I've done an essay on rail nationalisation and one on tradable pollution permits...I'm really struggling to write one on contestability, let alone technology's impact on it. Do you know of any example essays of it?

Sure! From June 2013, the question was...

"While some economic theories become dated, the theory of perfect competition has become more realistic over time"

Discuss whether technological developments, such as the internet, are making markets more competitive and making perfect competition theory more realistic. (25 Marks)

Hope it helps!
Original post by J4ck50n
Sure! From June 2013, the question was...

"While some economic theories become dated, the theory of perfect competition has become more realistic over time"

Discuss whether technological developments, such as the internet, are making markets more competitive and making perfect competition theory more realistic. (25 Marks)

Hope it helps!

Thank you. I'm looking for the mark scheme - do you know which unit paper this was from?
Thank you. I'm looking for the mark scheme - do you know which unit paper this was from?

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Economics/A-level/Past-Papers/AQA-Old/Unit-3/January%202013%20MS%20-%20Unit%203%20AQA%20Economics%20A-level.pdf

Question 8. Hope it helps!
Original post by shieullie
on the micro paper I hope that plastic pollution, monopolies, oligopolies. econplusdal predicted railr nationalisation, housing market and energy but I hate all those topics. macro paper defo financial markets and possibly depreciation of exchange rate

What policies would you talk about for plastic waste? or if the question was for and against intervention, I struggle with it sm
but privatisation came up last year, is there a chance nationalisation will come up?
Original post by stressedteen
but privatisation came up last year, is there a chance nationalisation will come up?

It all depends on what Exam board it is. For AQA, I think there is a pretty good chance nationalisation will come up, especially if it has to do with something like the railways, but keep in mind also potential nationalisation of things like Utilities too, but focus on rail. Try to pre plan an answer on the advantages and disadvantages of Nationalisation. Dal does a good job answering that!
Original post by J4ck50n
It all depends on what Exam board it is. For AQA, I think there is a pretty good chance nationalisation will come up, especially if it has to do with something like the railways, but keep in mind also potential nationalisation of things like Utilities too, but focus on rail. Try to pre plan an answer on the advantages and disadvantages of Nationalisation. Dal does a good job answering that!

Hey! we do two of the same subjects
Hey! we do two of the same subjects

Woah xD Do you take any other subjects?
Original post by J4ck50n
Woah xD Do you take any other subjects?

yeah, and eng wby?
yeah, and eng wby?

Ah the total opposite, Maths for me. But still
Someone in another thread asks 'can the housing market come up for aqa since it's not in the spec'?
Someone in another thread asks 'can the housing market come up for aqa since it's not in the spec'?

I wouldn't hold your breath about it, chances are it won't come up, unless it talks about rent controls in the housing market, but odds are really slim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending