The Student Room Group

Changing Course after receiving offer?

Hi people,

I recently was grateful to receive an offer from Sussex University for an Ma in International Relations.
However, while browsing their website to check out module selection I realised they are also offering an MA in Geo-politics and Grand Strategy.

This programme offers the same selection of optional modules but its core modules are much more suited to my interests. I just was not aware Sussex was offering it because I would search for "Ma International Relations" when I was trying to find attractive unis to apply to.

Do you think that I should ask for a sideways-movement into the Geopolitics and Grand Strategy course? Would that in any way risk the offer I already have? Is this issue a trivial one (given that they are in the same department and there is overlap of module choice)

I would definitely have applied to the Grand Strategy MA had I known it existed.

Thanks
Reply 1
@hkmt Do you think I would harm my chances by asking in advance or you think that I might be denied at this stage but accepted once I am there?

The issue is that this also affects whether I would like to go to Sussex or not. I have two more options but I would choose Sussex definetely if I did the Grand Strategy MA whereas its a more difficult choice when it comes to the IR Ma compared to eg Durham's IR Ma
I'd say contact the department and just ask. I imagine they'll advise you to apply for the other master's. If you get onto it, great! if not, you could ask the likelihood of being able to swap onto the course after enrolling in IR. I swapped onto a different masters in my department a week after enrolling and several other people made similar switches in the first few weeks - the impression I got was that when there's a lot of course overlap, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. However, it's obviously not guaranteed, so it's probably better to just ask the department up front what their policy is. You might want to contact the course director for the Grand Strategy MA and take it from there. Good luck!
Reply 3
I'm in a similar situation, but a different university.

I initially applied for a degree, received an offer and later saw that they offer another degree much closer to my interests, but similar to the one I got accepted for. I got in touch with the admissions department only yesterday and was told that if I want to change, I'll have to submit a new application even if the requirements are exactly the same but apparently, they're different faculties. They also mentioned my current offer won't be affected but I'll have to withdraw from it should I get an offer for the other course

However, the policy does state that students can change programmes post-enrollment but it won't be guaranteed because this depends on whether you will be permitted and if there are spaces available.

I'd say get in touch with them to ask about this. Chances are, it might be easier for you to transfer before the academic year begins if the two courses are within the same faculty!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending