The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
At least for **** like Bio and Computer Science mark schemes are straight forward but for Geography I am finding them quite vague.
So here is the markscheme
Marking instructions Markers must apply the descriptors in line with the general marking guidance and the qualities outlined in the levels-based mark scheme below. Indicative content guidance The indicative content below is not prescriptive and candidates are not required to include all of it. Other relevant material not suggested below must also be credited. Relevant points may include:
• geological structure can refer to concordant and discordant coasts
• geological structure can also refer to the lithology and structure of rocks
• concordant coasts are where the geology runs parallel to the coast and is associated with landforms such as coves as well as Dalmatian and Haff type coastlines
• in some cases, such as at Lulworth Cove, the band of resistant rock can be exploited by fluvial erosion
• complex depositional features such as spits are more likely to be found on concordant coasts where longshore drift can operate
• discordant coasts are where the geology runs at right angles to the coast and creates landforms such as bays and headlands reflecting variations in rock resistance
• the horizontal bedding of resistant rocks such as sandstone leads to vertical cliffs
• the exact profile of vertical cliffs can also be determined by the joint pattern of the rock, as well-jointed granite or limestone creating blocky profiles.

The question to this mark scheme is worth 6 marks, my question is do you need to include all of these points or most of these points to achieve all of the 6 marks or would like two of these points developed be enough to achieve 6 marks.
Here is my answer, please do tell me if it does achieve all of the 6 marks:

Explain the relationship between geology and coastal form along one named stretch of coast (6 marks) One way geology influences the development of coastal landform is by creating concordant coastlines for example with the Eastern Coast in the Adriatic sea, they form when the arrangement or folding of rock types is on a large scale parallel to the coast. The harder rocks or upfolds form elongated islands while the softer rocks or downfolds form large inlets or coves. Another way geology structure influences the development of coastal landforms is by creating discordant coastlines like for example in the coastline in South-west Ireland. They happen when the arrangement or folding of rock types is on a large scale at a right angle to the coast, the alternating hard and soft rock bands create headlands where there is more hard rock or upfolds and bays and inlets are formed where there is more soft rocks or downfolds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (41)
36.61%
No (57)
50.89%
I don't know (14)
12.5%

Watched Threads