The Student Room Group

More students killing themselves than ever before

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HighOnGoofballs
People may or may not be making more bad decisions that previous generations - in a way, it's Irrelavant; life is much more competitive than it was 50 years ago and I'm afriad people are just going to have to realise there if you make an awful decision now - the consequences are going to be much harsher than it would have been for previous decades.

Yes that’s true, but in your post you were implying that the mistakes made in this generation are part of the reason for the increased rates of depression and suicide. I would argue that it has nothing to do with it, and like you said it’s pretty irrelevant in this discussion.

Your posts sound too immature for this topic imo, far more people go to uni now than ever before yet there’s even less jobs and opportunities to succeed. If everyone took your advice and did what you deem a “worthwhile degree” then those degrees would be oversaturated too. I don’t think that university choices have anything to do with current levels of mental health issues.
Original post by ThomH97
Well this sucks. There is a pattern emerging that university students killing themselves is increasing, with 2015 and then 2016 setting new highs (they don't know about 2017 yet). The solution is, strangely, more counselling being available to university students. This seems rather late to me, you shouldn't be letting people you know are at risk get to the point of suicide before getting someone to talk to them.

Humans haven't changed much, but our environment has very drastically recently. University used to set you up with a secure job for life, now it doesn't. University used to be free, now you get tons of debt (I know it's effectively a tax, but 'more tax' is definitely not going to be better for your mental health than 'free':wink:. You didn't use to compare yourself to images of other people's best on social media, now you can. You used to be able to live independently once you graduated, now you're at university giving up on that dream knowing you're going to have to move back home. And more. This stuff doesn't get fixed by talking things through and/or taking pills. It is perfectly rational to be comparing yourself with what you see of your peers, parents and everyone else (though a bit more consideration than just scrolling through instagram/facebook etc would be good).

So why the focus on counselling? Bad stuff happens, people feel bad, bad stuff keeps happening, people feel really bad, people kill themselves. Introducing counselling at the end will lower the number of people killing themselves, but that's not addressing the root of the problem - why are people feeling so bad in the first place?

Those poor students, the world is getting worse every year.
Original post by Nottie
you will only get sectioned if you are at risk of hurting yourself or others around you.
It is not actually that easy to be institutionalised

I'm talking about people with proper suicidal thoughts. They don't like it when you have those
Reply 63
Original post by Sataris
I'm talking about people with proper suicidal thoughts. They don't like it when you have those

Then they are at risk of harm to themselves and, if the risk is high, will be assessed for admission under Mental Health Act. But it doesn't meant that they will all be sectioned, a lot of suicidal people can be managed in community
Original post by RivalPlayer
Suicide isn’t exclusive to loners. The fact that you describe getting wasted and passing out as "having fun" is the problem in this country. Behaving recklessly and encouraging others to do the same under the rubric of fun has its consequences.

Why would you so eagerly seek oblivion if you are happy?

Yeah but not all students get drunk to the point of passing out.Drinking can be fun if its not done to a stupid level.Suicide isn't exclusive to loners but depression often manifests itself in the form of feeling unloved and alone.Presumably the people who are going out are the people who've made friends at uni hence they are less likely to feel that.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
I'm sorry to hear that.

But I never said ALL, I said more often than not ie. >50% of the time if you get a good degree and make good life decisions you'll be fine, which is a pretty uncontroversial statement.

Not when there's a surplus of grads...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending