The Student Room Group

Foundation course at CSM 2018... Having second thoughts about going. Halp

Basically I applied for a laugh but they actually gave me a place. Never did I think or even planned to go to london (I’m from Sheffield). As this felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity n I was super excited I accepted the place as the financial support also made it realistic to afford to live there.

BUT!

Before this I was 100 % sure and super happy I was going to Manchester School of Art to do a foundation. Now slowing down n looking at reviews etc. of CSM foundation I’m starting to think it’s not for me. Time is flying by fast and accommodation is going. I’m just so confused of what to do... do I decline the place at CSM or am I just an idiot to do that.
Original post by estere142
Basically I applied for a laugh but they actually gave me a place. Never did I think or even planned to go to london (I’m from Sheffield). As this felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity n I was super excited I accepted the place as the financial support also made it realistic to afford to live there.

BUT!

Before this I was 100 % sure and super happy I was going to Manchester School of Art to do a foundation. Now slowing down n looking at reviews etc. of CSM foundation I’m starting to think it’s not for me. Time is flying by fast and accommodation is going. I’m just so confused of what to do... do I decline the place at CSM or am I just an idiot to do that.

Ok - let's try and break this down. First of all, try and make a list of the pros and cons for each place. This is the time to get really honest with yourself. What is going to work for you?

The bottom line is that you need to live, study and feel comfortable in whatever environment is right for you. There is no "right" and "wrong" answer here. Moving to London can feel scary. I moved from Scotland to London to do my undergraduate degree - but it felt right, and the minute I arrived, I felt at home.

Making a list of the pros and cons will really force you to focus on what the real issues are here. Do that, and let me know how you get on.
Reply 2
Yeah exactly it’s just finding the root of what is making me unsure. As drawing is at the root of my passion for art I was afraid that I wouldn’t fit in as I often found the work by people there very abstract.

Manchester just seemed so perfect because of how close everything was I already knew some people there, however these weren’t really things that made course itself better.

London is something so out of my comfort zone (in terms of the course) however I didn’t want to go to Manchester just because I’m scared.

Because the interview offer was so unexpected (I genuinely applied for a laugh) I weren’t prepared at all I just sort of came to say I’ve walked through the doors of CSM.

In hindsight I have to think.. with all the stumbles and unsureness they still picked me. Before, I was scared I wouldn’t be able to be myself however what a better place to express your individuality than in st Martins.
Original post by estere142
Yeah exactly it’s just finding the root of what is making me unsure. As drawing is at the root of my passion for art I was afraid that I wouldn’t fit in as I often found the work by people there very abstract.

Manchester just seemed so perfect because of how close everything was I already knew some people there, however these weren’t really things that made course itself better.

London is something so out of my comfort zone (in terms of the course) however I didn’t want to go to Manchester just because I’m scared.

Because the interview offer was so unexpected (I genuinely applied for a laugh) I weren’t prepared at all I just sort of came to say I’ve walked through the doors of CSM.

In hindsight I have to think.. with all the stumbles and unsureness they still picked me. Before, I was scared I wouldn’t be able to be myself however what a better place to express your individuality than in st Martins.

The university experience is meant to stretch you. It WILL take you out of your comfort zone - and it should. Remember, that everyone will be in the same boat when you start - everyone will be anxious to make friends, so there is no need to feel you are on your own and won't know anyone - that will change very quickly.

London can feel very daunting, but if you are going to go into halls (and I would recommend that in your first year you do that so you meet lots of people) then you will never feel isolated.

This is a great opportunity - don't say "no" just because it feel scary. Sometimes we confuse 'excited' for 'scary'.

If you are at all in doubt, find out more. Gather all the information you can about both places so you have all the facts. Knowledge is power! Good luck.
Reply 4
Yeah I’m going to go down to the fine art exhibition at CSM next week to get a better idea of what it’s like and book halls ASAP!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending