The Student Room Group

In CIE Paper 4 Chemistry, which formula should I use to draw an organic compound?

My teacher insisted to draw using whatever formula the question started with. However, the MS is rarely ever consistent with which formula it uses to display the correct answer. It seems silly to me to take marks off from a script that uses a displayed formula to a question that only asks to "draw the structure of..." just because the MS for that paper happened to use the skeletal formula.

Someone pls shed some light on this...
Original post by Levurmion
My teacher insisted to draw using whatever formula the question started with. However, the MS is rarely ever consistent with which formula it uses to display the correct answer. It seems silly to me to take marks off from a script that uses a displayed formula to a question that only asks to "draw the structure of..." just because the MS for that paper happened to use the skeletal formula.

Someone pls shed some light on this...

Is it not like p2 chem? I usually draw structural if they say draw the structure of, unless it optical isomerism where u use conventional, and geometrical isomerism where u use structural and show bonds.
Any more suggestions to the original question? I'm a private student, I haven't got any teacher to ask and I'm sick of finding inconsistencies on mark schemes.

To "draw the structure" questions you find answers on mark schemes as semi structural, fully displayed and skeletal. It's completely random.

I've just found a question on P42 November 16 where it says literally "draw the structural formulae" and the mark scheme shows a skeletal formula. I'm sick of it.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help. Thanks.
Original post by TheDoublethinker
Any more suggestions to the original question? I'm a private student, I haven't got any teacher to ask and I'm sick of finding inconsistencies on mark schemes.

To "draw the structure" questions you find answers on mark schemes as semi structural, fully displayed and skeletal. It's completely random.

I've just found a question on P42 November 16 where it says literally "draw the structural formulae" and the mark scheme shows a skeletal formula. I'm sick of it.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help. Thanks.

For "Draw the structure" questions, any unambiguous formula is accepted. It can be semi-structural, fully displayed, structural or skeletal.

For "draw the structural formulae of..", the representation for a benzene ring is accepted (hexagon with a circle). You should avoid a skeletal formula because it may not always be accepted.
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest