Edexcel IAL Physics Unit 6 (WPH06) 15 May, 2018 Official Thread

Watch
Mwkhanfar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Let this be the Official WPH06 2018 Thread.
IrohMac
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
can anyone please summarize the uncertainty values (smallest scale division bla bla) of the usual instruments used in experiments?

Thanks!
MclarenP1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IrohMac)
can anyone please summarize the uncertainty values (smallest scale division bla bla) of the usual instruments used in experiments?

Thanks!
0.1s - stopwatch (due to reaction time)
1mm - metre stick
0.1mm - vernier calliper
0.01mm - micrometre
IrohMac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MclarenP1)
1mm - metre stick
0.1mm - vernier calliper
0.01mm - micrometre
Thanks alot!

btw what about the ammeter/voltmeter and thermometer etc?
MclarenP1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks alot!

btw what about the ammeter/voltmeter and thermometer etc?
0.01 v for volt they usually give you the others
colourlessness
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are the predicted experiments
MclarenP1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by colourlessness)
What are the predicted experiments
Good question very hard to predict
sarah99630
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
do i need to memorise all the core practicals?? ugh, does anyone have any good practical notes/videos that are easy to follow? Also we are not asked stuff from unit 4?5 right???
IrohMac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sarah99630)
do i need to memorise all the core practicals?? ugh, does anyone have any good practical notes/videos that are easy to follow? Also we are not asked stuff from unit 4?5 right???
according to what our teacher said, learn the unit 4-5 core practicals. unit 1-2 you should just familiarise yourself with basic concepts about how resistance and current are related bla bla.

for notes, try the practicle physics notes in Edexcel AS/A-level student guide by Hodder (do the cores 9-16). Do look at the questions and answers they have mentioned after each core since those questions contain all the stuff required.

other than that learn the uncertainty precision accuracy bla bla (search up "IB physics: Uncertainties and errors" on youtube and watch the whole vid) and practice on your significant figures

lastly just try to do as much past papers as u can

Good Luck :-)
sarah99630
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
according to what our teacher said, learn the unit 4-5 core practicals. unit 1-2 you should just familiarise yourself with basic concepts about how resistance and current are related bla bla.

for notes, try the practicle physics notes in Edexcel AS/A-level student guide by Hodder (do the cores 9-16). Do look at the questions and answers they have mentioned after each core since those questions contain all the stuff required.

other than that learn the uncertainty precision accuracy bla bla (search up "IB physics: Uncertainties and errors" on youtube and watch the whole vid) and practice on your significant figures

lastly just try to do as much past papers as u can

Good Luck :-)
Ahhh this is soooo helpful!!! Thank you so much. God bless you in everything you do!
IrohMac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sarah99630)
Ahhh this is soooo helpful!!! Thank you so much. God bless you in everything you do!
you're welcome God bless you too
Kowalifwer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1mm - metre stick
0.1mm - vernier calliper
0.01mm - micrometre
Its 0.01 s for stopwatch BTW, the rest are correct.
Kowalifwer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They sometimes ask about some of the theory for Light dependent resistors and thermistors, from last year. Things like, what affect does increasing the temperature of thermistor have on its restistance etc etc.
MclarenP1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kowalifwer)
Its 0.01 s for stopwatch BTW, the rest are correct.
Yeah thats the precision but considering that the stopwatch is an analogue device and will be operated by human being, we must account reaction time (unless stated otherwise)
Kowalifwer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah thats the precision but considering that the stopwatch is an analogue device and will be operated by human being, we must account reaction time (unless stated otherwise)
mouth!
IrohMac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They sometimes ask about some of the theory for Light dependent resistors and thermistors, from last year. Things like, what affect does increasing the temperature of thermistor have on its restistance etc etc.
yea true that stuff I always lose marks in (theory is weird) and since the paper is already 40 marks, 2-3 marks count for alot
Kowalifwer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yea true that stuff I always lose marks in (theory is weird) and since the paper is already 40 marks, 2-3 marks count for alot
Thing is, sometimes even when you know the theory, the crap they expect you to write is so ridiculous, sometimes its either way too simple and you overlook it, cuz it makes no sense, as its so obvious, yet there are times where they expect you to pull info out of your ass and give SUCH a specific scenario, its insane..
Idk, maybe its just me, but I encounter these things occasionally when I do past papers...
IrohMac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thing is, sometimes even when you know the theory, the crap they expect you to write is so ridiculous, sometimes its either way too simple and you overlook it, cuz it makes no sense, as its so obvious, yet there are times where they expect you to pull info out of your ass and give SUCH a specific scenario, its insane..
Idk, maybe its just me, but I encounter these things occasionally when I do past papers...
EXACTLY. its not just you I face the same issue. I usually go "oh this cant be the answer its too simple for 2 marks" and it turns out it is

other times i just give up
IrohMac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
btw does anyone happen to know how to use set squares and stuff? eg using set square and rule to measure diameter of a can (May 15) etc. cant understand what they are tryna tell in the MS. do you put the rule horizontally and put 2 set squares on both sides of the can (with the vertical side of set square alongside the can)?
Believerrrr
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im so nervous about unit 6 Physics .because its so unpredictable till you see the mark scheme answers
if any one having short notes please be kind enough to share THank youuu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads