Need Help in Choosing Business Course

Watch this thread
omer_2016
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hey guys so i'm doing AS-Levels right now and got 5A*s and 3 A's in my GCSE's and am predicted to get 4 A's for my AS-Levels. I want to go somewhere in the business field and i'm not quite sure which field to go in specifically as i'm looking at job outlook and salary or should I go into the International Business Major, any advice would do help.
omer_2016
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
So this might be a little bit of a shocker but I haven't taken any subject relating with Business, Accounting or even Economics in AS-Levels.
I've looked at universities' requirements and they have stated that they don't require any Business Studies subject to be taken in A-Levels.
Though I have to say that I have taken Business Studies and Accounting in IGCSE's and got A's in both of them.

As for finding out which Business field I like, I have no problem going into any field except for Accounting as I hated it in my GCSE's.
I am thinking of dropping one of the sciences and taking Business(AS-Level) the next year when I'll do my A-Levels.
graceflower4747
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by omer_2016)
hey guys so i'm doing AS-Levels right now and got 5A*s and 3 A's in my GCSE's and am predicted to get 4 A's for my AS-Levels. I want to go somewhere in the business field and i'm not quite sure which field to go in specifically as i'm looking at job outlook and salary or should I go into the International Business Major, any advice would do help.
I got 7 A*s and 5As at GCSE. I did business, media, german, and biology A levels. I'm going to do Marketing and Management at Leeds Uni in September.

Don't bother with AS business, you won't need it for Uni and you'll still get good offers

Most business schools offer International Business, Marketing, Management, or Human Resource management as their main courses if you're not interested in economics.
Marketing is about matching people and products, human resources and management are about organising your people, international business is more general. Look at the modules and see which you think sound the most interesting.

I had offers from Leeds, Newcastle, an unconditional from Birmingham, Hull, and Durham.
omer_2016
Rep:
(Original post by graceflower4747)
I got 7 A*s and 5As at GCSE. I did business, media, german, and biology A levels. I'm going to do Marketing and Management at Leeds Uni in September.

Don't bother with AS business, you won't need it for Uni and you'll still get good offers

Most business schools offer International Business, Marketing, Management, or Human Resource management as their main courses if you're not interested in economics.
Marketing is about matching people and products, human resources and management are about organising your people, international business is more general. Look at the modules and see which you think sound the most interesting.

I had offers from Leeds, Newcastle, an unconditional from Birmingham, Hull, and Durham.
I love every aspect in the Business field and am currently looking at the International Business field. Could you tell me a little bit about it and the thing I'm looking for in the fields is the job outlook and pay.
graceflower4747
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I love every aspect in the Business field and am currently looking at the International Business field. Could you tell me a little bit about it and the thing I'm looking for in the fields is the job outlook and pay.
International Business sounds good for you then! Management at that level is very well paid.
In terms of job prospects its a good degree because you will be wanted abroad and at transnational companies, and also at UK companies because it sounds prestigious and shows you understand business and trade on an international level.
There's usually some economic, marketing, and accounting modules, some management, and some about the differences between trade and business in different countries. Most also have a year abroad too.

At Leeds its AAA, everywhere else is AAB-ABB really. Theres a lot of scholarships available for high achieving international business undergrads too
omer_2016
Rep:
International Business sounds good for you then! Management at that level is very well paid.
In terms of job prospects its a good degree because you will be wanted abroad and at transnational companies, and also at UK companies because it sounds prestigious and shows you understand business and trade on an international level.
There's usually some economic, marketing, and accounting modules, some management, and some about the differences between trade and business in different countries. Most also have a year abroad too.

At Leeds its AAA, everywhere else is AAB-ABB really. Theres a lot of scholarships available for high achieving international business undergrads too
I'm not really looking at the UK at the moment for Universities but rather looking at other European Countries such as Netherlands, France and Germany but I would appreciate if you could tell me more about the Leeds' course.
I'm not sure if you've heard of it or not, but I'm particularly keen for the Erasmus University of Rotterdam in Netherlands. It's got a Triple Crown Accreditation which only 1% if Business Schools around the world have and is one the best Business unis in Europe. It has a requirement of AAB in A-Levels. The reason I'm looking at other universities outside of England is because i'm an International Student from Pakistan and would like to go somewhere that isn't too expensive( because my older sister is studying at a rather expensive uni) and would give me a degree that has really high value for its price.
graceflower4747
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm not really looking at the UK at the moment for Universities but rather looking at other European Countries such as Netherlands, France and Germany but I would appreciate if you could tell me more about the Leeds' course.
I'm not sure if you've heard of it or not, but I'm particularly keen for the Erasmus University of Rotterdam in Netherlands. It's got a Triple Crown Accreditation which only 1% if Business Schools around the world have and is one the best Business unis in Europe. It has a requirement of AAB in A-Levels. The reason I'm looking at other universities outside of England is because i'm an International Student from Pakistan and would like to go somewhere that isn't too expensive( because my older sister is studying at a rather expensive uni) and would give me a degree that has really high value for its price.
I don't know much about foreign unis but I can see why you'd rather go abroad if that an option for you, our tuition fees are ridiculous!
Leeds is triple accredited too, so is Mannheim in germany and Copenhagen business school in denmark.
heres more about the course at leeds

https://business.leeds.ac.uk/undergr...onal-business/
omer_2016
Rep:
I don't know much about foreign unis but I can see why you'd rather go abroad if that an option for you, our tuition fees are ridiculous!
Leeds is triple accredited too, so is Mannheim in germany and Copenhagen business school in denmark.
heres more about the course at leeds

https://business.leeds.ac.uk/undergr...onal-business/
Thank you for the references. Also could you please give some advice for a student who's going for a Business major in uni and hasn't taken any relating subject in AS? Like what can I do to prepare when going to a top-tier university for Business studies?
graceflower4747
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for the references. Also could you please give some advice for a student who's going for a Business major in uni and hasn't taken any relating subject in AS? Like what can I do to prepare when going to a top-tier university for Business studies?
Find some books, either general business books or an a level revision guide. Even if you’re not doing the course you can learn some of the information in the book. Having done some wider reading also looks good on an application because it shows you have interest, commitment and knowledge
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
42.63%
The paper was reasonable (257)
41.65%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
8.59%
It was TERRIBLE (44)
7.13%

Watched Threads