Irish Entry Requirements

Watch this thread
StudyLikeMad
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why are Irish Leaving Cert students expected to get such high grades in comparison to people doing their A levels or SQA highers?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
la_banane_verte
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I don't know a huge amount about the Irish Leaving Cert, so apologies if I get things wrong here. My suspicion is that requirements have to be based around how many subjects students are generally expected to take at school. So with Highers and A-levels, you normally have requirements of 4 and 3 grades, because that's the minimum number of subjects students do. In Ireland, as I understand it, you do at least 6 subjects, so your requirements are based around assuming you've don 6 subjects. In all of these requirements (Alevel, Higher, Irish Leaving Cert) you're expected to get the top or second top grade, as the university wants students who're performing really well in school exams.

Because of the discrepancy in the number of subjects, this means that the Irish requirements translate into more UCAS points than the Scotland/England ones. If it was traditional to do 6 subjects in Scotland and England, you can bet that the uni would be making the requirements just as 'high' as the Irish one.
StudyLikeMad
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was just wondering because the content of subjects is quite similar across the board however an Irish student is required to get a H1 (the highest grade possible, above 90%) while an A level student is only required to get an A which isn’t the highest grade possible and is only above 80%
la_banane_verte
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The only way I know of comparing things is with UCAS tariff, and it gives the following:

Higher A: 33
A-level A: 48
Irish Leaving Cert H1: 36

So UCAS think that an A at A-level is "more" than an H1, but an A at Higher (which is the highest grade available tbf) is worth "less".

I don't personally know what an exam for each of the different qualifications looks like, so it's hard to say whether getting 90% in the one exam is more, less, or the same difficulty as getting 80% in the other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (16)
25.81%
The paper was reasonable (28)
45.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (12)
19.35%
It was TERRIBLE (6)
9.68%

Watched Threads