The Student Room Group

Do employers value BSc Economics over BA Economics?

^^
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by uopcenijeasja
Hello,

I would like to transfer from the course at Essex for which I hold conditional offer(International relations and Modern Languages). My options are:

1) BA Economics with a Modern Language
2) BSc Economics

If I choose 1) option, I will take all maths modules, the thing is only that I want to learn a language as a part of my degree and that is why I prefer 1) over 2).

However, is BA Economics less respected than BSc? Would it put me at a disadvantage?
And is Essex good for Economics?

Thank you for your replies, it means a lot to me.
Btw, I am not a native speaker so sorry for the bas grammar.

Hi

What is the language you are looking to learn? Is it a language you are already studying or related to a language you already know well? Which country (ies) would you wish to work in after graduation?
Reply 2
My native language is Croatian, my English is at C1 level, and my German is at B2 level, so I will probably choose Spanish(I don't speak it at all) or German as my chosen language... I don't know which option is better. I would like to work in UK, Germany or Austria After graduation. However, any country that offers me a good job is not off the list:biggrin:
The Cambridge Economics degree is a BA - I imagine most employers are satisfied with this. In general the degree name (i.e. BA/BSc) has very bearing on the content - some universities use it to differentiate between degrees where one has more quantitative content, while others simply allow students to decide which one they graduate with. Look at the actual course content and determine for yourself which is most appropriate. Languages can be very valuable for some roles, and are in general less common from UK students to an appreciable level of proficiency, so it is something that does stand out a little on a CV. Whether this would necessarily make a difference in getting a graduate job, I can't say.

As for the relative worth of Essex, it's impossible to really say without understanding the broader context of the courses you're looking at. Compared with the aforementioned example of Cambridge, it's clearly worse - as are most universities in the country for that matter. Compared other universities, it fares reasonably to very well. In general they've been improving their programmes and research output for a number of years, and so my general impression is they are "improving" which is better than some other universities both "above" and "below" it which are stagnating or outright worsening. How valuable that may end up being in the coming decades is hard to say. I don't know anything about their Economics course specifically however.
If you're looking to enter a career where mathematics is a big part, the BSc will be valued over a BA. It's more mathematically focused as opposed to a theory focused course. Also, the mathematical skills from a BSc will be applicable to any mathematical job, whereas knowledge of economic theory can only be applied to economics.

I declined a durham offer for BA economics for a place at bristol for BSc for this reason.
Reply 5
The difference is that in BSc maths modules are core, and BA can choose between mathsy and less mathsy modules. I would choose mathsy modules to improve my employment prospects. However, since i want to do BA with a language, every year I have 1 economics Module less than BSc Economics because 1 of my modules is a language. Would that put me at a disadvantage? Also, do employers discriminate against BA graduates as soon as they se that it is BA or will they look at the modules that I took and see that I have done almost as much maths as BSc graduates?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
The difference is that in BSc maths modules are core, and BA can choose between mathsy and less mathsy modules. I would choose mathsy modules to improve my employment prospects. However, since i want to do BA with a language, every year I have 1 economics Module less than BSc Economics because 1 of my modules is a language. Would that put me at a disadvantage? Also, do employers discriminate against BA graduates as soon as they se that it is BA or will they look at the modules that I took and see that I have done almost as much maths as BSc graduates?

I think it might never make a difference, however an employer looking for a specifically numerate graduate (say maths, sciences or economics) may well focus on BSc grads as that is what they are looking for. That being said, languages - particularly German - can give a real advantage.

If you are looking for degrees which give better employability have you thought about Accounting/ Finance or Management? If you are strong at maths that can be a great subject to study for employment.
Reply 7
I heard that off all the courses listed, the economics is the best. However, I will probably do my Masters degree in financial analysis:smile:
Reply 8
I heard that off all the courses listed, the economics is the best. However, I will probably do my Masters degree in financial analysis:smile:

Economics is definitely not as good a career option as maths (or maths/ economics) outside of Cambridge/ LSE (or overseas equivalents), but still a great course and good prospects.

Are there any 4 year economics courses with a year in Germany (some language classes and a year abroad would be great to learn the language).

Also, I noted on another thread that you were looking for opportunities to earn money while working. That can make a difference into which city and which course you might chose. How much money are you looking to earn each year? If its the full cost of living that's a pretty serious undertaking.
Reply 9
Yes, BA Economics with a Modern Language at Essex offers a year in Germany.
Well, I don't know how much money I would like to earn at part time job at uni, but as much as possible would be great so that my parents don't have to send me a lot of money.
Reply 10
I would like to choose as many mathsy modules as possible if I choose BA Economics with a Modern Language. But do employers actually look at the modules or would the title BA automatically discourage them from employing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending