chelseadagg3r
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey guys

Today is CFS/ME awareness day. It's a really important day for me because it's a condition I suffer from and have for a long time. It's the first chronic illness I was diagnosed with, though I do have others.

Please feel free to ask me questions about what is it, my experiences of being chronically ill, disability, or anything else! I'm doing this to raise understanding and awareness about this condition, so please don't be shy!
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Have nothing to ask really (learned loads about it from you and furry :ninja:)

but :hugs:
chelseadagg3r
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Have nothing to ask really (learned loads about it from you and furry :ninja:)

but :hugs:
Aw I'm glad you learned loads!

:hugs:
Langerhan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Everyone I've met with CFS has been incredibly dismissive of the idea it might have psychogenic factors. (Symptoms caused by psychogenic factors are absolutely real, and can cause severe difficulties without the conscious mind ever being involved, but don't have an organic cause. The neurologist Suzanne O'Sullivan has written some fascinating papers about people suffering from psychogenic blindness, psychogenic paralysis, psychogenic seizures, etc, which are definitely worth checking out if anyone wants to read more.) Why do you think there is so much opposition to the idea and where do you stand on it?
chelseadagg3r
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
(Original post by Langerhan)
Everyone I've met with CFS has been incredibly dismissive of the idea it might have psychogenic factors. (Symptoms caused by psychogenic factors are absolutely real, and can cause severe difficulties without the conscious mind ever being involved, but don't have an organic cause. The neurologist Suzanne O'Sullivan has written some fascinating papers about people suffering from psychogenic blindness, psychogenic paralysis, psychogenic seizures, etc, which are definitely worth checking out if anyone wants to read more.) Why do you think there is so much opposition to the idea and where do you stand on it?
I think there probably are psychological factors. I've certainly had my fair share of trauma in the past and I do not doubt for a second that is a big part of me becoming ill. I don't think it's 100% based on psychology, and of course I believe the symptoms are still physical and should be considered as such. I think people with it are often scared and defensive, and we are often dismissed as just having mental health issues, so I can understand why they distance themselves from it. It does annoy me a bit when they won't try treatments like CBT though when it could really help them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (84)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed