The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

How lenient is Edinburgh with the minimum entry requirements thing?

My offer is AAA but on the UCAS page it says minimum ABB, just wondering if this was just because of contextual offer or if they will still consider letting you in if you get ABB? I've made Glasgow my insurance as they sent me an email saying that the offer is ABB but most people who get BBB or above get in, I'm fairly confident I'll meet my offer anyway but just wondering if Edinburgh do it the same as Glasgow.
It's possible that they'll go down to their minimum requirements, yes, but of course isn't guaranteed.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by nandocalrissian
My offer is AAA but on the UCAS page it says minimum ABB, just wondering if this was just because of contextual offer or if they will still consider letting you in if you get ABB? I've made Glasgow my insurance as they sent me an email saying that the offer is ABB but most people who get BBB or above get in, I'm fairly confident I'll meet my offer anyway but just wondering if Edinburgh do it the same as Glasgow.

ABB is very much a contexual offer.

If your offer is AAA, they expect you to get AAA. If you miss it slightly (AAB) they might still consider you -- but there's no guarantee.
If your offer is AAA and you got ABB you would be rejected.
(edited 5 years ago)
Is it just something equivalent to 3 As or do I have to get a minimum of 3 As in all subjects? As in if I got A*AB would I still get in or something along those lines?
Is it just something equivalent to 3 As or do I have to get a minimum of 3 As in all subjects? As in if I got A*AB would I still get in or something along those lines?

You would need 3 As. A*AB would be a missed offer and a potential rejection. One of my choices wanted ABB, I got clean rejected with AAC
Original post by super_kawaii
You would need 3 As. A*AB would be a missed offer and a potential rejection. One of my choices wanted ABB, I got clean rejected with AAC

Oh man that's so annoying, why would they do this when if you look at UCAS points instead of grades it's the same?
Oh man that's so annoying, why would they do this when if you look at UCAS points instead of grades it's the same?

Because if they cared about UCAS points, they would have given your offer in UCAS points, not letter grades. Edinburgh is an elite uni and they want to know you can work to a suitably high level across subjects, as that is how Scottish unis work
Because if they cared about UCAS points, they would have given your offer in UCAS points, not letter grades. Edinburgh is an elite uni and they want to know you can work to a suitably high level across subjects, as that is how Scottish unis work

You reckon they would be a bit leniant though? As in if I got an A* in the subject I'm doing but then maybe dropped to a B in the one that isn't relevant to the course they could still consider me or are they really firm about their choices and don't let anyone who goes lower in like you would expect from somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge.
You reckon they would be a bit leniant though? As in if I got an A* in the subject I'm doing but then maybe dropped to a B in the one that isn't relevant to the course they could still consider me or are they really firm about their choices and don't let anyone who goes lower in like you would expect from somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge.

Depends. If they fill up their spaces with people who actually met their offer, then I'm afraid it'll be a rejection. It changes every single year

I applied to Leeds for a very undersubscribed course and I was still rejected despite having "equivalent points".
Depends. If they fill up their spaces with people who actually met their offer, then I'm afraid it'll be a rejection. It changes every single year

I applied to Leeds for a very undersubscribed course and I was still rejected despite having "equivalent points".

Ah well, so I should probably just take it as if I get less than the requirements I'll get rejected and start revising out my ass.
Ah well, so I should probably just take it as if I get less than the requirements I'll get rejected and start revising out my ass.

Yes. That's probably a good idea :smile:
Hi!
I firmed an offer for studying geography at Edinburgh uni a couple months back.

I got A*BB (with geog as the highest grade) and I think the grade requirements were 3 As.

However, I’ve taken a gap year and most unis are usually more likely to accept you if your grades are slightly lower than ones stated as you’re more of a sure bet. Although I don’t really know if that’s true, it’s just what I’ve been told but it seems to make sense.
Which course is this for? I've firmed Edinburgh too, and I think the minimum requirement for ABB means that you have to have at least ABB to be considered for the course. However if the typical offer is AAA, then that is most likely the offer they'll give out.

If your course isn't competitive then they may let you in if you get lower, but I'm not sure.
Original post by alicelmoro2
Which course is this for? I've firmed Edinburgh too, and I think the minimum requirement for ABB means that you have to have at least ABB to be considered for the course. However if the typical offer is AAA, then that is most likely the offer they'll give out.

If your course isn't competitive then they may let you in if you get lower, but I'm not sure.

It's physics, I'm not sure how competitive it is since when I was there I think they said they accept a few hundred physics students across all the different types and the physics department is fairly big.
Reply 15

I got an offer for Bmus music of ABB with the A in music, but if I get the B in music and the A in another subject will I still be accepted? They gave me the offer based on my predicted grades which was a B in music :smile:
Original post by nala99
I got an offer for Bmus music of ABB with the A in music, but if I get the B in music and the A in another subject will I still be accepted? They gave me the offer based on my predicted grades which was a B in music :smile:

From what other people have said I don't think so, also I know someone who applied for computer science at Manchester and they needed an A in computer science to get in , They came out with A*AB but the B was in computer science so they got rejected. They might still let you in but I wouldn't risk it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending