The Student Room Group

Can I report this person?

Scroll to see replies

Doubt it, you aren't going to be driving in a silent car the entire time whenever you get your license, having people talking to you doesn't make you excused for running over a cat

Moved to Learning to drive
Haha sociopath
Original post by fred flinstone
I highly doubt he would admit it.

I wish I had brought my instructor along with me, that way he would have been my eye witness.:argh:

What do I do?!?!?

I have no case.

Guess your only option is to dust yourself off and go again! :biggrin:
Reply 84
Are cats not fair game under the Road Traffic Act?

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q22.htm

Whilst mowing down dogs is a no no cats appear to have little protection in the eyes of the law.

I suspect from an examination point of view not seeing it casts some doubt on observation skills but frankly apart from that not sure what driving offence actually took place to be an automatic fail.
The fact that no one realises that this is bait is really depressing

It seems this community isn't too good at noticing hazards either
Original post by DJKL
Are cats not fair game under the Road Traffic Act?

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q22.htm

Whilst mowing down dogs is a no no cats appear to have little protection in the eyes of the law.

I suspect from an examination point of view not seeing it casts some doubt on observation skills but frankly apart from that not sure what driving offence actually took place to be an automatic fail.

So you think I have a legitimate case. For being wrongly failed?

This is great news!
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
If you have proof that he was trying to make conversation with you... Examiners are not supposed to tell you anything other than test instructions. If you want to chat with them first they might reciprocate but if your focused on the road they should keep quiet. poor cat :frown:

Nope, they're meant to talk to you outside of instructions to check you can hold a conversation and concentrate on the road at the same time.
This is hilarious! If you're a troll - nicely done :-)

If it's not, and you ever pass - we're all in trouble!

Please do report him. He will be congratulated for following current guidelines to have a chat with the candidate to make them feel more at ease. Of course he would 'admit it' as it is positively encouraged! If you are in busy traffic and the examiner knows you need to concentrate more, they will be quiet. If you ask them not to speak to you except for instructions, they will not take offence, and do as you ask.

They are there as an observer, not a co-driver. It was your fault. Next time you take your test, tell the examiner at the start that you are incapable of watching the road and holding a conversation, and he/she will oblige. Usually they get slated for being unfriendly. They just can't win - it's always their fault that you can't drive!

This thread has made me laugh though :-) Thanks for that
Reply 89
So you think I have a legitimate case. For being wrongly failed?

This is great news!

I would not get my hopes up I think not spotting it was a mistake re observation though I do vaguely recall something from years ago about not hitting the brakes hard for a cat if it will cause the car behind to hit you.

I was merely commenting that I think under the current RTA killing cats is allowed. It is their own fault for being so independent, dogs have it sussed that if you want legal protection you need to be far more friendly to humans.

Presume given your name you stepped on it?
It sounds like something bad happened and you're trying to find someone to blame instead of simply accepting it's unfortunate and you could try again. Driving instructors make conversation - good luck finding a mute one.
Original post by hannxm
It sounds like something bad happened and you're trying to find someone to blame instead of simply accepting it's unfortunate and you could try again. Driving instructors make conversation - good luck finding a mute one.

I had one on my first test who only spoke to give instructions and it was awful, my second one was super chatty and made me so relaxed, much better when they're chatty
Original post by DrawTheLine
I had one on my first test who only spoke to give instructions and it was awful, my second one was super chatty and made me so relaxed, much better when they're chatty

Mine was very chatty too and I really liked him! :smile:
I can't believe you ran over a cat and you're trying to get support on this forum. Did you kill the cat ? Omg that's so bad. If I did that all I would worry about is the animal not my stupid driving test or trying to get someone fired for doing their job. End of story if you didn't see the hazard that's a fail.
Original post by NiamhBall
Nope, they're meant to talk to you outside of instructions to check you can hold a conversation and concentrate on the road at the same time.

That's ridiculous, you're already in a test environment so your already at a disadvantage (and driving worse than you normally would) by being under pressure, adding more distractions would be cruel. There is no part of the highway code that says you need to be able to focus while holding conversation, listening to music, etc. If you can't focus while doing those things, then you avoid doing those things. Simple.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
That's ridiculous, you're already in a test environment so your already at a disadvantage (and driving worse than you normally would) by being under pressure, adding more distractions would be cruel. There is no part of the highway code that says you need to be able to focus while holding conversation, listening to music, etc. If you can't focus while doing those things, then you avoid doing those things. Simple.

Adding some distractions and pressure is exactly why they do it - in the real world no once can expect to be driving around in complete silence. You're not just tested on the Highway Code, they need to know you're a good enough driver and capable person to be able to handle at least some quick small talk.
Original post by DrawTheLine

How many times did you fail?
How many times did you fail?

Once.
Original post by Feebzie5
I can't believe you ran over a cat and you're trying to get support on this forum. Did you kill the cat ? Omg that's so bad. If I did that all I would worry about is the animal not my stupid driving test or trying to get someone fired for doing their job. End of story if you didn't see the hazard that's a fail.

No, the cat is still alive. It's not a "stupid driving test"!

How rude. I paid for this "stupid" test. So I am hoping to pass. Don't be rude!
Original post by NiamhBall
Adding some distractions and pressure is exactly why they do it - in the real world no once can expect to be driving around in complete silence. You're not just tested on the Highway Code, they need to know you're a good enough driver and capable person to be able to handle at least some quick small talk.

Sorry to disagree, but that isn't why they do it. They do it only to try to make candidates feel more relaxed. And if you ask them not to, they won't. They don't try to trick you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending