What could I do with a degree in Film and Philosophy?

Watch this thread
SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What field of work could I go into with such a degree (rare but offered at universities such as Southampton, Hertfordshire and Nottingham Trent)?
borborygmus
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Southampton says
Spoiler:
Show

Career skills are embedded throughout every stage of study. Professional practice modules include visits from industry professionals who offer vocational training.
It is said that philosophy is the ultimate transferable work skill, because the skills acquired can take you into any walk of life. Argument, communication and the ability to appreciate others’ points of view are all valuable assets which can open the door to career opportunities.
Daniel Greenway, a graduate of Film and French at Southampton, progressed to work on major Hollywood productions Batman Begins and The Da Vinci Code. "My time at Southampton was invaluable in developing my critical approach to film-making," he said. "It’s vital for anyone who wants a career in the creative side of the industry."

hertfordshire doesnt say much

nottingham says
Spoiler:
Show

This is a major part of the curriculum. Key transferable skills are emphasised and there are opportunities to develop links with organisations and potential employers. Joint honours courses develop a wide range of skills. These include written and oral communication skills, critical analysis and a variety of IT skills. But you’ll also become more self-motivated, be able to work independently and in teams, and develop excellent time management skills.

theres transferable skills so although it might land you directly into a job like medicine does, theres plenty of other oppurtunities
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SpacePatroFan189)
What field of work could I go into with such a degree (rare but offered at universities such as Southampton, Hertfordshire and Nottingham Trent)?

Hi SpacePatroFan189,

It's great you're looking into a joint degree in Philosophy and Film. At Herts we offer Film as a minor with Philosophy. I've been in touch with one of our Philosophy lecturers and one of our Film lecturers and they let me know the skills that you develop by studying these subjects such as creativity help you to solve problems which is something employers really value. We actually offer a module in the Philosophy of Film and Literature that draws connections between the two subjects.

Film is taught from the perspective of about 70% theory and history and 30% practical filmmaking, so the emphasis is on critical, cultural and philosophical applications of film/TV analysis and production. This connects not only with Philosophy but is interdisciplinary with other subject like English Literature and History too. Film studies imbued students with analytical and production skills whereby students can develop their place as cultural and critical citizens, able to understand how media and moving images create meaning, 'speak to us' as subjects in culture and how we can then use this knowledge to produce our own 'texts'. Our modules in Intro to Film Theory, European Film and TV Style, US Cinema, American Nightmares on Screen and most importantly the Video Essay connect with some key philosophies/and philosophers in the application of such theories to film and TV. Video essay is perhaps the most pertinent module as it requires a philosophical reading of film and TV content - encouraging students to 'write with film itself' - re-editing film and TV content (using Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro) to create a visual essay rather than a text-based essay. This gives students actual content to take to prospective employers often more immediately engaging than a back catalogue of written essays.

Careers in film/TV studies include: •Film and TV Production (Research, Screenwriting, Creative). •Film Archiving, Film and TV Programming and Exhibition - some of our Film students went on to gain work experience/freelance work with the Barbican Cinema, and the BFI (British Film Institute) on the Southbank. •Film and Journalism (populist and academic) Some of our graduates in film have gone on to direct their own films, and quite a few have gone on to complete PGCEs and have become Media Studies lecturers at FE/Sixth Form.

Hope that helps. If you need any more information, just let me know.

Thanks,
Heather
solar222222
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SpacePatroFan189)
Well, there's two routes.

You can go the academic route, getting a master and a PhD so you can teach at Unis. Doesn't just have to be in philosophy or film, you can potentially continue on to other humanity subjects. Maybe even business, I know someone who did film and is now doing a masters in Marketing (not sure if that counts as business or film).

Or alternatively, you graduate and get a job. I'm a film student, so I don't know about philosophy. I'm doing an internship with Disney and it was something that I could only do through my course.

At the end of the day though, a degree is a degree. It helps in a CV, but it doesn't guarantee a job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.13%
The paper was reasonable (136)
37.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.51%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads