The Student Room Group

Films that have changed your life?

What films have changed your life or changed your perspective on something?
Doesn't have to be a major 'change' to your life, but maybe you just started looking at things a different way.
For me, three films have really changed my perspective on things.
1) Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
I was thinking about this film for literally weeks afterwards because it was so wonderfully quirky and unusual. I'm not a film crtic or reviewer or anything so this 'review' kind of sucks but it really is my favourite film ever.

2) The Riot Club (Lone Scherfig, 2014)
This film is...weird to say the least. Its about a bunch of posh dudes at Oxford who are part of 'the riot club' (based on the real life Bullingdon Club) who just get up to all sorts of (awful) things, and i like this film because it really takes the veil of mystery and blind admiration for top unis like Oxford and Cambridge; it shows the nasty reality of it. I liked it.

3) The Book Thief (Brian Percival, 2013)
Man, i cried so much at this film which is why its so memorable to me. It just really put a 'human' face on the pain caused by the Holocaust and I think it was amazingly paced. However, the book is SO much better, but even as a watered down version, the film is very good!

What about you guys? (Lol whoops i went on a bit talking about these films but i really like them so much jskjdjsjsjkds)
Reply 1
Original post by daizu
What films have changed your life or changed your perspective on something?
Doesn't have to be a major 'change' to your life, but maybe you just started looking at things a different way.
For me, three films have really changed my perspective on things.
1) Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
I was thinking about this film for literally weeks afterwards because it was so wonderfully quirky and unusual. I'm not a film crtic or reviewer or anything so this 'review' kind of sucks but it really is my favourite film ever.

2) The Riot Club (Lone Scherfig, 2014)
This film is...weird to say the least. Its about a bunch of posh dudes at Oxford who are part of 'the riot club' (based on the real life Bullingdon Club) who just get up to all sorts of (awful) things, and i like this film because it really takes the veil of mystery and blind admiration for top unis like Oxford and Cambridge; it shows the nasty reality of it. I liked it.

3) The Book Thief (Brian Percival, 2013)
Man, i cried so much at this film which is why its so memorable to me. It just really put a 'human' face on the pain caused by the Holocaust and I think it was amazingly paced. However, the book is SO much better, but even as a watered down version, the film is very good!

What about you guys? (Lol whoops i went on a bit talking about these films but i really like them so much jskjdjsjsjkds)

Interstellar really messed me up :dong:
grim.png
Reply 3
Film is one of the great tools in shaping our life. For me I have watched so many educational films. However these two films has changed me.
1) jobs (2012) those movie made me realized that there's more to life after school. Also entrepreneurer journey is not an easy task I takes lot of determination and leadership qualities to be at the top. That was what have Microsoft founder the edge till date as the immediate past richest man.

It teaches how you must always carry your colleagues along, growing together and winning together.
I can't stop watching this film till date.

2) it is a documentary (the men who built America) if you are yet to watch this, pls watch it now. This change my thinking totally and help me to grasp that wealth is not a day job also there's no shortcut to success an lastly. We must always think of wining all the time not most of the time but always.
Life is just like a game of CHESS.
Reply 4
Debbie Does Dallas
The Social Network
its good
It's an anime movie called A silent voice ( koe no katachi )
speaks about suicide and stuff.
I was going through a quite rough patch in my life so it kinda hit home
Reply 8
It'll probably sound silly, but Kingsman, for me.

It sort of, in a way at least, showed me that it doesn't matter what sort of background or social status you have. If you're willing to work hard, adapt and transform, you're able to do anything in life. Not only that, but the fandom has helped me make so many friends, and it also got me into creative writing, and back into art, which I abandoned when I dropped out of college.
Reply 9
A bit pretentious perhaps, but 'synecdoche, new york'. A theater director who becomes fearful of the finality and closeness of death decides he wants to create his 'masterwork', a play that aims to be an honest, true reflection of life. It explores his mind in a creative, abstract way, and I cannot recommend it enough (though it will not be for everyone). The struggles he faces in learning to come to terms with his own mortality are really gripping.

I don't think it changed my life, but it certainly made me think and was a nice presentation of the depth and layers to a film.
(edited 5 years ago)
1) Nightmare before xmas
The film was my childhood, and was one of the few musical type films i enjoy. It also influenced heavily the art styles that i enjoy even now, it's just that tim burton gothic, but slightly crazy, style that just makes me smile inside

2) Big fish
Another Tim Burton film, that sorta just makes me feel good, and teaches you to never let go of your youth and never take life as seriously as it needs, allow time for happy moments and enjoy being what you want to be, not what others want you to be. Really resonated with me, since i watched this just after my gcses, which caused plenty of panic attacks and stress. A notable film that did the same thing was secret life of walter mitty, wasn't as good as big fish but definitely a good watch

3) The way back
It just amazed me tbh, made me think about how unbelievably crazy it was that these people endured this, wasn't life changing but it was certainly an eye opener, and the book version is even more insane
Reply 11
* Spirited away - Hayao Miyazaki has a good visual style that really appealed to me when i was younger, it taught me that it's okay to be scared of your problems but moreso that if you confront them you'll get a better situation than what you started with.
* The Breakfast Club - It taught me how no matter how different people seem, they all have issues and their own insecurities, but anyone can bond and anyone can build a good support system, all you have to do is open your shell a little.
* Forest Gump - If someone like Gump could achieve a 'happy' ending, why can't i ? It mainly taught me that the resuts of hardwork truly pay off, and that i could do anything if i put enough time and energy into it.
Reply 12
Michael Collins, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, Schindler's List, Pianist, Mississippi Burning.
Love, Simon. I just loved it and it really did help me accept my sexuality, not to mention that it was really relatable.
Forrest Gump was the film that had a big impact on me. For me, it just makes me realize I need to seize the day and that I should treat people they way they would want to be treated. Even though he's not the sharpest tool in the shed he always tries his best at anything he does while still remaining humble and still being caring for others.

Quick Reply