Yr_11_MATHS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
how would I answer this question:
"The doctor diagnosed this person with an underscore thyroid gland. explain why an underscore thyroid gland could cause this patient to have increased body mass"

i know that thyroxine controls rate of metabolism or something like that...
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"Underscore" is NOT the right word, actually! It is called an underactive thyroid OR hypothyroidism OR myxoedema.

Thyroxine tends to increase the basal metabolic rate (BMR), so in hypothyroidism, there being less thyroxine produced or released from the thyroid gland means that metabolism is slowed down; therefore the calories that are used up or "burnt" are reduced, so there is a positive energy balance i.e. the intake of calories exceeds their utilization (in fact usually in spite of anorexia (= reduced appetite, a symptom, not to be confused with anorexia nervosa, which a lot of people do)), so the result is weight gain.

M
Yr_11_MATHS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by macpatelgh)
"Underscore" is NOT the right word, actually! It is called an underactive thyroid OR hypothyroidism OR myxoedema.

Thyroxine tends to increase the basal metabolic rate (BMR), so in hypothyroidism, there being less thyroxine produced or released from the thyroid gland means that metabolism is slowed down; therefore the calories that are used up or "burnt" are reduced, so there is a positive energy balance i.e. the intake of calories exceeds their utilization (in fact usually in spite of anorexia (= reduced appetite, a symptom, not to be confused with anorexia nervosa, which a lot of people do)), so the result is weight gain.

M
Thanks mate
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My pleasure man!
username2858058
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
underactive thyroid = less T3 and T4 produced

T3 binds to its nuclear receptor with RXR, resulting in the binding to the thyroid responsive element, facilitating transcription of proteins by assisting recruitment of the pre-initiaton complex to promoters through coactivator activity. the proteins then have their effects in the body, which involves increasing BMR through signal transduction and intracellular cascades, among other things

obviously if you have less T3 and T4, the proteins wont be transcribed because the nuclear receptor represses transcription in its "normal" state. only when T3 binds can the topology and conformation of AF-2 change, with H3, H4 and H11 assisting in the recruitment of coactivators rather than corepressors.

coactivators may involve p300, pcaf, HATs and chromatin remodelers such as SWI/SNF, that eject nucleosomes, opening up chromatin and promoter sites, allowing assembly of the pre-initiaton complex and RNA Pol II to do its thangg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (141)
14.29%
I'm not sure (42)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (296)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (482)
48.83%

Watched Threads