Which labelled structure contains a mitochondria?

Watch this thread
Yme2day
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I had thought the the sperm's midpiece contained the mitochondria, but it's not labelled and the answer is supposedly G...the cytoplasm of the egg? I thought it only had lipid droplets and critical granules.

Can someone explain why this is the case as the markscheme doesnt offer an explanation Name:  20180512_205830-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  53.0 KB
The Anarchist7
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yme2day)
I had thought the the sperm's midpiece contained the mitochondria, but it's not labelled and the answer is supposedly G...the cytoplasm of the egg? I thought it only had lipid droplets and critical granules.

Can someone explain why this is the case as the markscheme doesnt offer an explanation Name:  20180512_205830-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 138
Size:  53.0 KB
im not quite sure myself, but the membrane bound organelles in the cytoplasm of the cell give it away in that question
straightIrishguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
show the question
Yme2day
Rep:
Name:  20180512_210823-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 79
Size:  60.5 KB
AmyElizabeth99
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It's a cell so the egg cell has to respire so it contains mitochondria... the mitochondria are within the cytoplasm
shadowman10
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yme2day)
Name:  20180512_210823-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 79
Size:  60.5 KB
I know the mitochondria is a membrane bound orgaanelle, so it would be in the cytoplasm of the egg cell. However, the sperm mitochondria is in that bit just to the left of sites B and D. The answer you put (site D) isn't where the mitochondria of the sperm are located. The sperm mitochondria is just behind of the "head" of the sperm cell (that little rectangular bit between the tail of the sperm and the head, see attached diagram), just before the tail on your diagram. However, as that part isn't actually labeled, I assume that site G on the egg cell is the correct answer as it is the only part containing mitochondria that is actually labelled.
Attached files
sanibonani
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Fun fact - every persons mitochondrial DNA is inherited from their mother
Yme2day
Rep:
(Original post by shadowman10)
I know the mitochondria is a membrane bound orgaanelle, so it would be in the cytoplasm of the egg cell. However, the sperm mitochondria is in that bit just to the left of sites B and D. The answer you put (site D) isn't where the mitochondria of the sperm are located. The sperm mitochondria is just behind of the "head" of the sperm cell (that little rectangular bit between the tail of the sperm and the head, see attached diagram), just before the tail on your diagram. However, as that part isn't actually labeled, I assume that site G on the egg cell is the correct answer as it is the only part containing mitochondria that is actually labelled.
I guessed D ssince i had thoguht it reflected the mid piece of the sperm since it wasnt labelled. I realise my error was in not realising that the egg cell will have a itochondria since it needs to respire.
Thanks for the clarification though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (73)
41.48%
They're exactly what I expected (40)