Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, so looking through loads of applications of jobs online, and a fair few, depending on the job obviously, ask for sales experience.

This might sound stupid, but does that count as working in retail? Things like working in a call centre and selling things is very different to working in a shop, yet all involve sales. I'm confussed! I don't want to say, yes I have experience in sales, to then get a job that I have no clue what it is and am under qualified for.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Did you have to push a store card, or meet certain targets? If so, then that could count as sales experience. But most retail work won't count, because you're not actively selling anything.

ReputationRep:
    Well in my current job we are set targets, which depend on how much the store needs to make in that day. So although I do work in a (shoe) shop, we actually have to serve every customer to get sales, so it's completely different to working in a clothes shop.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of retail work does involve 'selling up' - getting the customer to walk away with more than they just came in for or more expensive stuff - so I think it would be worth mentioning... with shoe shops, it's often when you target customers at the till for shoe protector stuff and all those extras that they don't really need (it's the advertising the product that's important). Store cards also involve talking the customer into believing that they want one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Darkness)
    A lot of retail work does involve 'selling up' - getting the customer to walk away with more than they just came in for or more expensive stuff - so I think it would be worth mentioning... with shoe shops, it's often when you target customers at the till for shoe protector stuff and all those extras that they don't really need (it's the advertising the product that's important). Store cards also involve talking the customer into believing that they want one.
    That isn't really the point of the target. If someone doesn't need a pair of £100 boots, theres no point trying to sell them to them. Also, with shoe care, the shop I work in only sells a protector spray, so you can't try and sell it with every sale. We don't have targets set with shoe care (ie, you must sell this much each shift/week etc), unlike some retailers, we only really advise people to protect their shoes, instead of forcing them into it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you missed my point... I'm just trying to show you how you CAN turn retail work into something relevant for the CV when you're applying for work in areas such as sales... because retail in general IS about meeting targets (even if you're not set them yourself, your store is likely to have them, and will expect you to do your best in helping and advising customers in order to help them meet those targets). I don't think whoever you apply to is going to delve into the ins and outs of exactly what your role has been at the shoe shop and if you're actually 'selling' products as opposed to simply running them through the till.

Most shoe shops I go in DO always 'suggest' I buy the shoe protecter, the shoe-fresh hygiene spray thingie, the 'party feet' insoles etc etc. I'm damn sure it's not the staff who personally want me to buy them for my own good - it's because they've been told to ask me by their managers. Why? Because the managers have targets to meet and want customers to spend as much as possible. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Darkness)
    I think you missed my point... I'm just trying to show you how you CAN turn retail work into something relevant for the CV when you're applying for work in areas such as sales... because retail in general IS about meeting targets (even if you're not set them yourself, your store is likely to have them, and will expect you to do your best in helping and advising customers in order to help them meet those targets). I don't think whoever you apply to is going to delve into the ins and outs of exactly what your role has been at the shoe shop and if you're actually 'selling' products as opposed to simply running them through the till.

Most shoe shops I go in DO always 'suggest' I buy the shoe protecter, the shoe-fresh hygiene spray thingie, the 'party feet' insoles etc etc. I'm damn sure it's not the staff who personally want me to buy them for my own good - it's because they've been told to ask me by their managers. Why? Because the managers have targets to meet and want customers to spend as much as possible. Simple as.

Yes, I know what you mean about being forced to suggest things. Most of the time I just say something like 'Oh, with these shoes you should probably use a protector spray as they're canvas/not leather' or something along those lines as most people don't even realise a canvas shoe isn't water proof (yes, stupid I know!) So that's just me being helpful, as we don't actually have targets on shoe care, but we each have specific targets so it does help boost it up.

I'm not particularly applying to sales work, but just incase the situation arises, it'd be good to know my experience is actually relevant.

Thanks though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.