The Student Room Group

Is Oxford worth it?

Thinking of applying but if I was lucky enough to gain admittance, I have heard it is too tedious of work compared to work at other unis. Apply and accept the unnecessary work load? Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What subject?
Maths..
Reply 3
Original post by HopelessAgony37
Maths..

Well yeah obviously, it will help you a lot in the future and probably give you better career opportunities. I would be more concerned on trying to get in, it’s a great opportunity
Thanks for the input! Getting in, they say, is the toughest part. But I’m also considering the costs and workload vs opportunities afterward. I feel like I can get the same jobs if I go to a cheaper uni..
Reply 5
Thanks for the input! Getting in, they say, is the toughest part. But I’m also considering the costs and workload vs opportunities afterward. I feel like I can get the same jobs if I go to a cheaper uni..

What are these cheaper unis? Every uni's a rip off unless you're Scottish and studying in Scotland.
Original post by mongodb
What are these cheaper unis? Every uni's a rip off unless you're Scottish and studying in Scotland.

Oh bull! I hope you are exaggerating or being facetious. Nothing to poke fun at.. Oxford is the top for expenses. Am I right?? Anything else is cheaper!
And btw I am a bloody Scotty (not from Scotland though) and the schools there are some of the worst I’ve heard of. Wouldn’t dream of it mate!!
I have heard Imperial is much better for maths and is more devoted to mathematics/science work (stem) than Cambridge or Oxy McOxerton.. Does anyone have experience at these schools?
Reply 9
You might get more responses if you ask in the section for Oxford University
Thinking of applying but if I was lucky enough to gain admittance, I have heard it is too tedious of work compared to work at other unis. Apply and accept the unnecessary work load? Your thoughts?

Getting a degree at all is a just one steaming pile of unnecessary workload. Play the game or go home.
Original post by Observatory
Getting a degree at all is a just one steaming pile of unnecessary workload. Play the game or go home.

Honestly... I can’t say that you’re wrong.. sometimes I wonder if it’s truly worth it. Part of me says no.
Oh bull! I hope you are exaggerating or being facetious. Nothing to poke fun at.. Oxford is the top for expenses. Am I right?? Anything else is cheaper!

Well, no, I wasn't being facetious at all, I thought you were referring to tuition fees, which are pretty much standard across the board (though how many sub par universities get away with this I do not know). I would've thought my thought process was obvious judging by my stated exemption for Scots studying in Scotland as they do not have to pay any tuition fees.

I would in fact claim the blame for the misinterpretation lies upon you as you used the phrase "cheaper unis", which implies there is something about the university itself which is cheaper, which you've clearly indicated was not the case and that it was the cost of living in the area the university is situated which you were referring to: in which case a more proper wording would have been "universities in cheaper areas" or something to that degree.

Uh. Where did you get this idea from?

Oxford isn’t more expensive. Tuition fees are almost identical across universities in England, and although there are variations in costs of accommodation, it’s not *that* much.

You don’t pay more money because the university is better.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Uh. Where did you get this idea from?

Oxford isn’t more expensive. Tuition fees are almost identical across universities in England, and although there are variations in costs of accommodation, it’s not *that* much.

You don’t pay more money because the university is better.

What?? Then I was lied to! I am a foreigner so please excuse my mistake. I was told it was the highest cost there was! They said don’t bother applying because it will make you broke going there.. well that is interesting news!!
Oxford has some of the oldest university toilet pipes in the world so yes, definitely.
What?? Then I was lied to! I am a foreigner so please excuse my mistake. I was told it was the highest cost there was! They said don’t bother applying because it will make you broke going there.. well that is interesting news!!

You were misinformed unfortunately! Oxford’s prices are no different to any other university here in England.

As I said, the cost of accommodation varies - But not by much. Also, oxford likely has a wider range of bursaries and financial help because they’ve got more money than most - Im not sure how this differs from international students, but it’s definitely worth you looking into!
Don't worry about it, you won't get in anyway.
yh. it's worth a "sh!t" and a piss too I reckon
I have heard Imperial is much better for maths and is more devoted to mathematics/science work (stem) than Cambridge or Oxy McOxerton.. Does anyone have experience at these schools?

Out of curiosity, from whom did you hear about it? not that I deny ur statement there, I’ve been hearing a lot of good things ‘bout Imperial and it seems like its reputation for STEM is growing crazily.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest