The Student Room Group

Is Oxford worth it?

Scroll to see replies

This is shocking, sh!t news! They lied to my face in my countries academic office! Wait, so in your country.. all you have to do to get in is be “smart”..?? Haha. Wait.. so I have to ask, is it then possible to be too stupid to get into college over there? I’m talking about the lowest of the low. Does that happen, since your academic system seems to be based entirely on intellectual ability and past achievements?
Original post by Çharizard
Out of curiosity, from whom did you hear about it? not that I deny ur statement there, I’ve been hearing a lot of good things ‘bout Imperial and it seems like its reputation for STEM is growing crazily.

One of my best mates (first mate basis) said that’s a fact and a widely accepted idea in the UK. Every other person I know from there has told me the same in the past year since I’ve been discussing moving to England for school.
Original post by FloralHybrid
You were misinformed unfortunately! Oxford’s prices are no different to any other university here in England.

As I said, the cost of accommodation varies - But not by much. Also, oxford likely has a wider range of bursaries and financial help because they’ve got more money than most - Im not sure how this differs from international students, but it’s definitely worth you looking into!

It's not true for international students.

For undergraduate studies, Oxford is priced at £16230-£23885 plus £7570 college fee.

At London Met, an accounting degree is at £11800pa.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
It's not true for international students.

For undergraduate studies, Oxford is priced at £16230-£23885 plus £7570 college fee.

At London Met, an accounting degree is at £11800pa.

Ok thank you!! I was about to say. Yes, my academic affairs office had numbers and paperwork to back-up what they were saying. They said I was the only student who they would assist in international studies and told me to go try for Oxford. They said it is the best school your entire area has to offer. Is this true in the UK? Is it regarded as the “best” there is?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HopelessAgony37
One of my best mates (first mate basis) said that’s a fact and a widely accepted idea in the UK. Every other person I know from there has told me the same in the past year since I’ve been discussing moving to England for school.

Spoiler

Original post by Çharizard

Spoiler

Haha, as far as I know they’re not. They moved here from over there and were telling me all I needed to know (as it seemed) about studying abroad and how the system differs entirely in their countries. It is VERY different!
Thinking of applying but if I was lucky enough to gain admittance, I have heard it is too tedious of work compared to work at other unis. Apply and accept the unnecessary work load? Your thoughts?

Do it. Its not just about the course. You can study maths anywhere, but often in life its who you know not what you know. If you go to a posh uni like that, join as many activities as you can. You will make friends and valuable contacts which will be very helpful in the future.
Original post by DaveLister
Do it. Its not just about the course. You can study maths anywhere, but often in life its who you know not what you know. If you go to a posh uni like that, join as many activities as you can. You will make friends and valuable contacts which will be very helpful in the future.

Arguably the BEST advice I’ve heard on here yet! You are so right on saying it’s all about who you know. I’ve seen so many people land undeserved positions because mommy or “duddy” plays golf with the right people. It’s sad, but it’s very real.
Ok thank you!! I was about to say. Yes, my academic affairs office had numbers and paperwork to back-up what they were saying. They said I was the only student who they would assist in international studies and told me to go try for Oxford. They said it is the best school your entire area has to offer. Is this true in the UK? Is it regarded as the “best” there is?

The current prime minsters of the UK (and the one before her), Australia (and the two before him), Hungary; kings of Norway, Bhutan, Jordan, Malaysia (and the one before the current one); State Councillor of Myanmar; and the Crown Prince of Japan will probably say yes. Also, the last president of Perú, one of the former US presidents, the last governor of Hong Kong etc will probably agree.

I'd imagine Prof Richard Dawkins, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, Sir John Eccles, Lord Florey, Sir John Gurdon, Sir Cyril Hinshelwood, Sir Peter Medawar, Sir Martin Ryle, Prof Oliver Smithies etc would likely concur. I believe the Oxford-educated Professor Hawking wouldn't though.

But none of them was a mathematician.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
The current prime minsters of the UK (and the one before her), Australia (and the two before him), Hungary; kings of Norway, Bhutan, Jordan, Malaysia (and the one before the current one); State Councillor of Myanmar; and the Crown Prince of Japan will probably say yes. Also, the last president of Perú, one of the former US presidents, the last governor of Hong Kong etc will probably agree.

I'd imagine Prof Richard Dawkins, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, Sir John Eccles, Lord Florey, Sir John Gurdon, Sir Cyril Hinshelwood, Sir Peter Medawar, Sir Martin Ryle, Prof Oliver Smithies etc would likely concur. I believe the Oxford-educated Professor Hawking wouldn't though.

But none of them was a mathematician.

Now THAT serves as great “food for thought”. So much history and so many incredible individuals to have the honor of claiming Oxford as their alma mater, but where does this fall in line of exceptional mathematical learning institutions, right? I’m obsessed with mathematics and am even considering being an engineer, instead of coming out with “just” a math degree. At least with engineering, it’s “applied” math, which guides it in a certain, productive direction. Otherwise I’ll end up a fuggin tutor somewhere making sh!t pay. Not happening..
Reply 30
Thinking of applying but if I was lucky enough to gain admittance, I have heard it is too tedious of work compared to work at other unis. Apply and accept the unnecessary work load? Your thoughts?

My thoughts are you are possibly thinking of University of Oxford, so I've moved your thread here instead of Oxford Brookes where you created it.

If my thoughts are wrong I'd be pleased to move it back :smile:
Reply 31
Oh bull! I hope you are exaggerating or being facetious. Nothing to poke fun at.. Oxford is the top for expenses. Am I right?? Anything else is cheaper!

Oxford is actually cheaper living costs than other unis.
Original post by dirch
Oxford is actually cheaper living costs than other unis.

Cheaper? Doubtful. Who or where tf did you get that from?? It’s most definitely not cheaper, you nit!
Original post by Doonesbury
My thoughts are you are possibly thinking of University of Oxford, so I've moved your thread here instead of Oxford Brookes where you created it.

If my thoughts are wrong I'd be pleased to move it back :smile:

Thank you and no, you’re absolutely right. Is Oxford Brookes even associated with the other Oxford or no??
Reply 34
Cheaper? Doubtful. Who or where tf did you get that from?? It’s most definitely not cheaper, you nit!

I am going to Oxford next year. My college rent is cheaper than my insurance - Birmingham. I get a more generous bursary as well. Tuition fees are the same everywhere. Do your research first before calling me a nit!
Reply 35
Things like this make me soo angry. My parents don't even have gcses, and guess what, I have an offer for Oxford next year. Oxford means a hell of a lot to me! It might not you, but it does to me.
Reply 36
Thank you and no, you’re absolutely right. Is Oxford Brookes even associated with the other Oxford or no??

Uh, no.

Shorter terms = cheaper total rent on average. They also have pretty generous bursaries for those that need it. You nit!
(edited 5 years ago)
Just a quick addition, I applied and didn't get in to Oxford but was able to get onto one of their summer schools (history of art so quite different to maths). If it's money you're worried about, there is a lot of help you can get, from your course and college. It's all about working out which college has the right rooms and help (course and life wise) rather than the right reputation. Best of luck!
Original post by dirch
Things like this make me soo angry. My parents don't even have gcses, and guess what, I have an offer for Oxford next year. Oxford means a hell of a lot to me! It might not you, but it does to me.

Well good for you! Oh, btw, who on bloody earth are you talking to? Hopefully it’s not me, as it would also mean a lot to me too! But good on you. I won’t say you’re bragging... of course you’re not. But, I will still be bold enough to say that, to me, you still come off as a complete and utter NIT! Have a good day..
Original post by HarleyParker
Just a quick addition, I applied and didn't get in to Oxford but was able to get onto one of their summer schools (history of art so quite different to maths). If it's money you're worried about, there is a lot of help you can get, from your course and college. It's all about working out which college has the right rooms and help (course and life wise) rather than the right reputation. Best of luck!

Thank you.. I’ll need it. Bless up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending