Thinking about applying for psychology at Leeds, would I be limited? Watch

Aimee_101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've looked at the requirements for a BSc course and it asks for one science A level which includes psychology which I have. However they also ask for GCSE's at grade 4 minimum - English lang and ask for math at grade 6 and a science at grade 6 . I have B's in additional and core science, a 5 in english language so i have met the requirements for them; however my maths grade is a 5 at GCSE (in the middle of a C/B). Would they still consider me? Are my chances quite low? I'm just wondering how damaging missing the B in GCSE maths is? My overall GCSE grades were, C, 5,5,6,B,B,B,A,A and let's just say I meet the A Level requirements A,A,A.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Apply. What's the worst that could happen?

A-level grades are more important than GCSE ones. In anycase GCSE Maths is no guide as to how well you will cope with the stats on a Psychology degree. Perhaps you can demonstrate in other ways on your personal statement you understand what Maths you will have to use.
username4256810
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I missed all the GCSE requirements they wanted a B in maths I got a C. I did okay in A levels and got in. Nothing to worry about. Make sure your personal statement is fire and just don’t put in the word passion. Do some wider reading or activities that help you stand out. In short, grades don’t matter much for Leeds admissions but personality and drive do
username4256810
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am studying BSc psychology at Leeds and I didn’t get a B in maths either, I got a C. Get some work experience, but largely don’t worry about it too much. My personal statement was strong, make sure you get it proof read etc, etc..

If you are relatively good at statistics maybe state that you understand the level of statistical knowledge on a psychology degree course and are able to conduct statistical tests (t,tests etc) and understand their outputs. If you can read a stats book or do ttests and understand standard deviations and so forth write that in, it’s a good selling point. But of course, make sure you can do them because lying flags up. If you can’t that’s absolutely fine, I couldn’t when I applied and I still got in. Don’t panic, don’t focus too much on it, I’m sure you will do just fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.34%
No (317)
75.66%

Watched Threads