British Schools of America and the British National Curriculum Watch

This discussion is closed.
Pat Perkins
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I'm thinking of sending my daughter to the British School of Chicago, but I can't really find much
information on the web about it or the other British Schools of America (in Boston, Washington,
Houston), owned by Education Overseas Ltd. If anyone has any knowledge or opinions, please post.

What about the British National Curriculum on which it's based? As described, it sounds solid, but I
don't know anything about it from a practical standpoint. I'd like to hear opinions from anyone,
Brit or otherwise.

Finally, I'm a little skeptical about sending my child to a for-profit corporation for her
education. The tuition is certainly high enough ($12,000/yr) that there shouldn't be a danger of the
school closing down for lack of profit, but something about the general idea of profiting on a
child's education bothers me, can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps I'm just misinformed and
that's how all private schools are run. I'm sure someone will inform me either way.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
As a parent of an American child currently being educated in one of the British Schools, I can tell you that the educational system is tremendous! The Web site is very detailed; you might want to have a look at http://www.britishschool.org.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
You will have to ask for a password but its far better than the main page which is way out of date. Be prepare to spend lsot of money though. Fees go up at 7-8% per annum guaranteed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
After spending a very long time researching many great schools in the Chicago area, I chose to send my son to the British School of Chicago. Puttling labels aside and all the pretentiousness of some of the "older" schools, my family couldn' t be more happy with the British School. The teachers are incredible and devoted, class sizes are small, and almost a year later I can see a transformation in my son. I can't imagine sending him anywhere else.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
As a teacher with BSA i am delighted to read so many positive comments in this thread. We all work exceptionally hard to ensure the best possible education for the children we teach, it is nice to see that it is appreciated.

I would hope that BSA will continue to go from strength to strength, not least so that I can continue to enjoy living in the States - which is in itself a great experience!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Here's an article on for-profit schools: http://www.independent.org/tii/media...ir64vedder.pdf
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise