Turn on thread page Beta

would you wear earplugs? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: woul you wear earplugs?
    yes
    46.67%
    no
    53.33%

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200803...s-b2e59e8.html

a deaf charity is trying to find a way of encouraging people to wear ear plugs to music events. but no matter how "stylish" or "fasionable" they were made who would actually use them?
    personally im not sure i would. i would rather not be deaf but it would just seem like wearing a coat in the shower to me

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh I heard this on the radio coming back from London yesterday... No I wouldn't. Even if they did look "cool".

ReputationRep:
    i sometimes do, but then i go to gigs in back-rooms with no sound limit where you can get 3m max away from the speakers!

Lots of people wear them.

ReputationRep:
    I wear them at illegal raves where there's no legal volume limit..

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of it they were made 'cool' - which lets face it, they are earplugs would never happen.
    Im not about to wear earplugs to a concert, whats the point- I go to hear the music properly, not through the muffled sound of earplugs.

ReputationRep:
    I wear them to go shooting

ReputationRep:
    I would. I would have started wearing them years ago if I knew where to buy them. Bouncers wear them in the clubs to save their hearing...and they can still hear people talking to them...so the difference isn't that huge - it would hardly impair your gig-listening pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't. At valve, people were wearing them but whats the point? you don't go to a gig to wear earplugs!

Although I have worn earplugs, and you can still hear the music but the bass is filtered out a bit.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I wear them and to be honest the music sounds just as good, if not better than without them. They're good for blocking out the external noise and just allow your ears to focus on the music. Worn properly they're barely noticeable!

I'd rather wear earplugs now so that I can hear music in the future.

My wifey is a musician so I know better than to not protect my ears and she always has some around to whack in my ears when things are a bit loud.

ReputationRep:
    you wear ear plugs so you can go to a gig again....

Seriously, if someone told me years ago to wear ear plus I would! talk to any bar staff, bouncer etc. Your ears get ****ed by going out.

ReputationRep:
    its probebly to late for me... "what?"
    I wear them to bed tho! Im a light sleeper! you can buy cool coloured ones...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a sound tech, I do and would continue to use hearing protection whenever I can.

ReputationRep:
    No....but only because I'm already a little deaf and I dont think i'd be able to hear anything under them.

ReputationRep:
    Not only do earplugs look ugly, they feel horrible in your ear as well.

A firm No for me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused as to the point in going if you wear earplugs. I don't find nightclub music too loud really, and you want it loud! That's why you go to a club.

ReputationRep:
    i work as an engineer in clubs/at gigs. I wear earplugs when i can when i'm working, and sometimes when i'm not and have remembered some. They don't majorly affect the quality of the sound you here, and i actually find it easier to hear what people are saying when i'm wearing them. There's not really much reason to not wear earplugs unless you're doing something requiring you to listen carefully to the music to EQ, or to make sure it's at a suitable volume for people to listen to.

Even if you don't feel like very loud sound is damaging your ears, it probaby is... people tend not to notice the lower frequency sounds causing damage because its not immediately noticable. You definitely notice the difference at the end of the night after wearing earplugs... it was most weird when i'd been wearing an earplug in one ear but had to have a radio earpiece on the other (it's quite loose so doesnt block out any of the music really).

valve give out earplugs as more as a gimicky 'oh look how loud we are' thing than an actual attempt to protect people's hearing, in my opinion... partially from seeing that the earplugs are just cut from long sticks of foam. Probably better than nothing though. I'm working at valve on saturday and will definitely be wearing some proper earplugs all night.

ReputationRep:
    I've fashioned earplugs from plastic bags at gigs on a couple of occasions. I'm such an old man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    Regardless of it they were made 'cool' - which lets face it, they are earplugs would never happen.
    Im not about to wear earplugs to a concert, whats the point- I go to hear the music properly, not through the muffled sound of earplugs.

Errmm, I have soem news for you - a decent pair of ear plugs will improve clarity not make it worse (i dont mean a ball of cotton wool in your ears!)

I;ve thought about it ebfore because I go to gigs quite often but was put off by the £100 quid odd price tag as i am not sure i go enough!

I might look into it again now hto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    [url]
    a deaf charity is trying to find a way of encouraging people to wear ear plugs to music events. but no matter how "stylish" or "fasionable" they were made who would actually use them?
    I wouldn't, I think they should have volume limits on the speakers instead, or some kind of rule that keeps people a certain distance away from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adélaïde)
    I wouldn't, I think they should have volume limits on the speakers instead, or some kind of rule that keeps people a certain distance away from them.
    there is in several (all?) places, but the majority of the time it's down to the event organisers to check that the rules get adhered to. The sound limits are fairly generous anyway, and there's always the cheaty option of taking sound readings from the back of the room or from behind a pillar or whatever!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.