The Student Room Group

Studying to fight for equality or studying art?

Hi everyone :smile: just saying my english won’t be perfect as I am French, sorry about that!

I applied for a criminology degree in London, but I recently changed my mind because I want to fight for equility. Inequilities always made me upset regardless of the scale or perpective, so I’ve been trying to find a course who allows me to study about the world history/situation from all angles. I found the ‘BA International Development’ which is available in the same university where I applied for (UEL).

I want to focus my knowledges on inequalities and discriminations, to be able to fight them, so my question is will this course allows me to follow this path? I can’t find anything else and its driving me crazy.

BUT, I’ve been doing art on the side for years, and I’m now willing to start again, I recently bought a lot of quality materials and I started my “business” (or whatever you want to call it) on the Internet (instagram etc.) to sell my art and already got good feedback and orders (which I did not except at all)
I’m mostly doing art on fabric, like designing tee shirts with fabric paints and markers aswell as drawing and painting on canvas, mural painting, chalkboards... and the more I do, the more I want to create, improve my skills, get into new things like sewing to be able to make my own clothes… So now I start wondering, why not studying something artistic ?

The thing is, I’m really interested in both, but I know “fighting for equility” will take me a lot of times due to the amount of studies, essays etc., I am also a self taught person so I believe I won’t neccesary need to go to school to do art.
My question now is, Is it possible to build a network in art and get strong skills as much as someone who went to art school if I got the motivation? Will I be able to manage my business and my studies on the long term?

I’m also scared that I might miss something if I study one or the other…My brain just never stops, its never enough.

So I’m really confused, I’m doing uni in September and I don’t even know what I want to study…

Any advices? I need help.

Thank you so much!!!! :smile:
Reply 1
hi! what do you mean you want to fight for inequality? that's quite a broad range. you don't want to study law?
Original post by Joleee
hi! what do you mean you want to fight for inequality? that's quite a broad range. you don't want to study law?

Hey! I don’t really know yet I was hoping to find out through deeper research because im not quite sure yet, and maybe the international Development degree could be a good start.
i'd rather study to make money than to fight inequality

inequality is natural
Original post by Dreamer20
i'd rather study to make money than to fight inequality

inequality is natural

Very helpful thank you
Edited Grammar in thread title and moved to Applications and UCAS.:smile:

"Fight for inequality" is a vague career plan. If you don't know what you want to do with your life then I'd suggest you take some time to think about it seriously before plunging yourself into a degree that may be of no use to you.
Original post by 04MR17
Edited Grammar in thread title and moved to Applications and UCAS.:smile:

"Fight for inequality" is a vague career plan. If you don't know what you want to do with your life then I'd suggest you take some time to think about it seriously before plunging yourself into a degree that may be of no use to you.

Thanks I didn’t know where to post! And yes that’s what I’m doing at the moment haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending