yeahboiii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,

I'm doing the RS paper privately tomorrow, but I'm unsure as to how I'm meant to answer the contrasting beliefs question. It says 2 contrasting ways/beliefs, but my tutor told me that there should be one contrast between the 2 contrasting paragraphs.

Eg 2 Contrasting ways in which Christmas is celebrated by Christians
Para 1: Religiously (eg carols/service)
Para 2: As a holiday (eg presents)

However, I've heard others say that 2 or more contrasts should be made between the paragraphs, as it's 2 contrasting ways.

Eg 2 contrasting ways in which Christians worship
Christians belonging to denominations such as Orthodox worship by attending liturgical worship in a church such as that of Eucharist where it follows a set pattern. During liturgy a priest may perform certain rituals of significance such as they receive bread and wine which they believe is the body and blood of Christ respectively.
Christians belonging to other denominations such as Quakers perform informal worship carried out sometimes in someone’s home. There is no set order and pattern. They often worship in silence until feel the urge to read a passage of bible or to share their own thoughts.
(Contrasts are where and how ie Church/Home and Liturgical/Informal)

What are your thoughts?
Utti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

For the 4 mark questions, there only needs to be one distinct 'constrast.' However contrasting only means different, not necessarily polar opposites. The example which you have given (the contrasting ways of worship) is a perfectly fine answer, but technically there is no need for two such contrasts (i.e you could get away with not mentioning the location of each worship, although it is a nice detail to add).

Hope this clears up your Q.
yeahboiii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Utti)
Hi,

For the 4 mark questions, there only needs to be one distinct 'constrast.' However contrasting only means different, not necessarily polar opposites. The example which you have given (the contrasting ways of worship) is a perfectly fine answer, but technically there is no need for two such contrasts (i.e you could get away with not mentioning the location of each worship, although it is a nice detail to add).

Hope this clears up your Q.
Thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (73)
38.22%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.85%

Watched Threads