Is HIV a disease? Watch

username3859374
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I can't get a straight answer from google and I'm trying to write a biology essay that's titled "Causes of disease in humans"
TRAnders
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by libertykamp)
I can't get a straight answer from google and I'm trying to write a biology essay that's titled "Causes of disease in humans"
HIV is the infection - the virus. AIDS is the disease caused by unmanaged HIV infection.
username3859374
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by TRAnders)
HIV is the infection - the virus. AIDS is the disease caused by unmanaged HIV infection.
Isn't AIDS a syndrome not a disease?
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
HIV is an infection. In the initial stages it is acute and later on it becomes dormant in your body (although still active, it just reproduces at very low levels). As the virus levels increase in your body, HIV eventually develops into Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). AIDS is the most severe phase of HIV infection. People with AIDS have such badly damaged immune systems that they get an increasing number of severe illnesses, called opportunistic illnesses.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 9 months ago
you couldn't get a straight answer? here you go.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yes, it is a disease.
Scottish15
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
HIV/AIDS is a disease.
OxFossil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
HIV is the name of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, just as Homo sapiens is the name of the human species.

When infected by HIV, the body can respond in a number of ways. In some cases, the infection is completely suppressed, just as sometimes, we can get infected by a flu virus and never even know we had it - our immune system clears it spontaneously.

Sometimes, the infection takes hold and produces various signs of damage to our systems.

There are a number of possible diagnoses that we can have as a result of HIV infection, but by far the best known is called Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome - AIDS. You are diagnosed as having AIDS when you have HIV infection, plus a variety of "AIDS defining conditions", such as:

- Candidiasis of the esophagus, bronchi, trachea, or lungs [(but NOT the mouth (thrush)]
- Coccidioidomycosis, disseminated or extrapulmonary
- Cryptosporidiosis, chronic intestinal (greater than one month's duration)
- Cytomegalovirus retinitis (with loss of vision)......

(....the list goes on)

So HIV is the causative agent for a number of diseases, but is not a disease in itself. AIDS is called a syndrome because it presents as a collection of different signs and symptoms; the underlying cause is infection with HIV, which triggers or causes other infections or disease processes to take hold.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (4)
4.04%
No (95)
95.96%

Watched Threads