Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HELLLPPPP!!! the hundred yeasrs paper is really hard and my teacher still hasnt explanied how to write a synoptic essay without telling the story! can anyone give me some tips?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..mine is one hundred and twenty years!

You really mustn't go into too much depth on this paper, you only have 45 minutes, gloss over things whilst dropping in little pieces of historical evidence. Just analyse through lots and lots of practice.

E.g. ''The period 1917-1930 saw great cultural change for the African American through their own active involvement in helping themselves, which took the form of the Harlem Renaissance and the Jazz Movement that endeared white audiences, thus rasing awareness of black abilities..'' I dunno, something like that.

Don't write ''In the 1920s, there was something called the Harlem Renaissance which is a term given to describe a period of musical and political change and also, a black middle class developed. This meant that white people watched these shows etc etc.''

^ I know you wouldn't write that unless you're being ultra simplistic, but you have to be terse and didactic.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the lovely synoptic one? I did Tudor Rebs and honestly THE BEST way of doing well is to write as many practise essays as humanly possible.

ReputationRep:
    im doing tudor rebellions, and im finsing it realy hard. i just cant get the hang of the whole synpoitc, not teling the story and ahving enough evidance. i keep getting 'E's.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. I got a C the first time I did it because nobody taught me properly. I re-did it in January and got full marks. My best advice is:

- Read as much as humanly possible about your period and especially the rebellions, lots of really decent books (i.e. Fellows, Fletcher, MaCulloch, Rex etc.)
    - Make a nice double-sided A4 page on each rebellion and catergorise/ colour code them into causes, consequences and danger level.
    - Get all the exam questions, marking schemes and examiner's reports you possibly can
    - Write as many practise essays as humanly possible. Then check what the mark scheme says you should have said. Learn helpful recurring phrases (i.e. Religion was not an issue until the 1530's, Deciding "seriousness" is dependent on how the candidate defines it etc.) and note how questions fall into certain categories (causes/triggers, events, location, change across time, consequences, seriousness/threat, success are the main ones).
    - This should now give you a big clue on how to write the "perfect" essay so re-draft the practise ones into example essays.
    - Remember in the exam to define what you are discussing, remember to cover the full one hundred years (do not miss out Simnel or Essex's rebellion!) and every reign.
    - Always use a fact then make an inference OR make a statement and back it up with a fact. Never just tell the facts, that'll get you nowhere.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    thanks. thats realy helpful. our teacher dosnet realy teach how to write esssays, and barley teaches us the stuff. maily jst hands out shets of paper, and says make notes. not realy helpful at all, as she never gives us specifics to make notes on. we never know waht we meant to be learnig

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem. Never had a single essay marked and our teacher left half-way through the year. haha.

ReputationRep:
    that sucks. ours keeps having days off from being ill. Problem is, she looks on this website, she probs gna know im talking about her. do you mind if i ask you for help on essays and stuff? coz shes set us one for homwork and she printed off a plan from the here that someone had done, n said it wasnt very good. problem is, i thought it was. so i ant got any idea how to do it, n she realy didnt help when i asked her.

ReputationRep:
    The best idea is to just write essays until they're coming out your ears and then compare them with the marking schemes. Then re-write. And re-write.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 10, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.