The Student Room Group

Is Uni Right For Me??

I left school a year ago and went onto do an apprenticeship at a nursery, however, I ended up not enjoying it as much as I had hoped. I would like to go on to uni after I finish my qualification there, however, I am extremly nervous and worried that that might not turn out right too. What do I do? And where do I get advice from ? Thank you in advance x
Original post by iona8888
I left school a year ago and went onto do an apprenticeship at a nursery, however, I ended up not enjoying it as much as I had hoped. I would like to go on to uni after I finish my qualification there, however, I am extremly nervous and worried that that might not turn out right too. What do I do? And where do I get advice from ? Thank you in advance x

Hello!

Its a really difficult question to answer as it depends so much on each individual person and their personal needs; but the good news is there's a whole range of options to ensure you can get the most out of university life.

There are many options available to you to help choose a university/course, such as attending university open days, visit days, taster sessions etc to get a feel for what the academic side of university is like. This gives you a chance to see if the course you have chosen is right for you and means you won't be as overwhelmed when you start your course properly.

There is also the issue of living arrangements at university as it is such a big part of student life. Many students choose to live in student halls in the first year of their degree, which are usually run by the university. These are available in a wide variety of types and prices at every university so its important to do your research. Another option students can choose is to commute from home. This is common if the university a student has chosen is close to home, as it saves money and just suits some people more than moving into student accommodation.

Of course there is a lot more to consider about going to university so I have just tried to summarise the main things that I thought about when I was applying. However, please feel free to ask me more questions if theres anything else you'd like to find out!

Abbie :smile:
Primary Education student and Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

Its a really difficult question to answer as it depends so much on each individual person and their personal needs; but the good news is there's a whole range of options to ensure you can get the most out of university life.

There are many options available to you to help choose a university/course, such as attending university open days, visit days, taster sessions etc to get a feel for what the academic side of university is like. This gives you a chance to see if the course you have chosen is right for you and means you won't be as overwhelmed when you start your course properly.

There is also the issue of living arrangements at university as it is such a big part of student life. Many students choose to live in student halls in the first year of their degree, which are usually run by the university. These are available in a wide variety of types and prices at every university so its important to do your research. Another option students can choose is to commute from home. This is common if the university a student has chosen is close to home, as it saves money and just suits some people more than moving into student accommodation.

Of course there is a lot more to consider about going to university so I have just tried to summarise the main things that I thought about when I was applying. However, please feel free to ask me more questions if theres anything else you'd like to find out!

Abbie :smile:
Primary Education student and Student Ambassador

Thank you so much. My main issue is I don't have much support from my family about my decision and so I feel like im going this alone. I want to study the course but I am so nervous about starting and hating it or feeling like I have made a wrong choice again. It such a difficult choice and I am hoping within the next few months.
Thank you so much. My main issue is I don't have much support from my family about my decision and so I feel like im going this alone. I want to study the course but I am so nervous about starting and hating it or feeling like I have made a wrong choice again. It such a difficult choice and I am hoping within the next few months.

Hi,
These are all really normal worries to be having, especially if you don't feel you have support from your family. However remember that you will have plenty of support from the University too, in the form of friends (who will become like your University family - I know mine have!!), your personal tutor (who will be there to support your pastoral needs when required), as well as the other support services who cover personal, social, academic and other difficulties, meaning all you have to do is reach out for the support you want, and often the uni will be able to help (free of charge).

And if something does happen, and you find yourself hating the course, or making the wrong choice, then speak to a member of one of the teams here - whether careers to explore which option may be best, your personal tutor to explore your interests or just for direction!

I hope this helps, and you find yourself making a decision best for you!

Tom :smile:
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador.

First question really is, why do you want to go to uni? is it just to study a subject you love? get a degree to break into a certain career path? just to get the 'uni life'?

As you only normally get to do 1 undergrad degree you need to understand your own motivations for wanting to go
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending